cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving an LCD - FSMC vs FMC vs LTDC

e1369008
Associate II
Posted on October 08, 2015 at 13:32

I must select a MCU for a project which should use a TFT LCD (240x320). I would like to know what are the main differences between FSMC, FMC and LTDC interfaces for driving an LCD. If FSMC is OK then the value line STM32F100VDT is totally sufficient for the project. Otherwise I will be forced to select the more expensive parts like STM32F302VDT (for FMC) or STM32F429VET (for LTDC).

Thank you.
3 REPLIES 3
Posted on October 08, 2015 at 18:58

Depends how smart or dumb the panel is.

There's a whole mess of 320x240 panels with a controller and frame buffer (memory behind the image). These would be considered ''smart'' as you talk to the controller via a simple bus interface (doable with FSMC or bit banged GPIO)

There are also dumb panels, where you're responsible for all the clocking, horizontal, and vertical, and supplying a constant stream of data from a frame buffer that you have to provide. For these you're looking at the F429 type parts where it has the LCD interfacing, and the external memory to accommodate the frame buffer, typically larger than 320x240.

Take a few seconds to look at STM32 boards on eBay, and provide small 320x240 panels, there's lots of them. Most of them have a FSMC header connector.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
e1369008
Associate II
Posted on October 09, 2015 at 09:01

Clive, thank you for the answer, I will choose a smart LCD and interface it with FSMC then. Can you please tell me what is the difference between FSMC and FMC? I couldn't find it, they seem to have the same functions.

Posted on October 09, 2015 at 09:15

Hi Stop,

> Can you please tell me what is the difference between FSMC and FMC? I couldn't find it, they seem to have the same functions.

FMC = FSMC + SDRAM controller

JW