jschatz
Associate II
Posted on July 27, 2009 at 14:07

New Library or Old Library with IAR Compiler

3 REPLIES 3
jschatz
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 13:18

I am just beginning to write the code for my STM32F103ZCH6 processor using my new IAR compiler V5.4 (new release).

My question is that the newer release of the IAR compiler still uses V2.0.3 libraries and examples. Should I be downloading and using the new libraries V3.0.0?

The issue is that I expect my code to be sampled for future systems. IAR has not indicated that there is any effort to change their libraries into the newer format. Since they seem to have about 1400 example applications available, my guess is that there is little rush for IAR to change the libraries in their product offering.

STMicro's site has examples and documentation that supports putting the new libraries into the IAR-IDE environment.

If I start with the newer libraries, I would expect that the future IDE environment would eventually catch up. However, I could also expect that IAR may lay claim to the older libraries (and their structures) as the ''IAR Library Set''.

Any comments?

swhite
Associate III

Quote:

On 24-07-2009 at 00:50, Anonymous wrote:

Should I be downloading and using the new libraries V3.0.0?

Actually v3.1.0 is the latest version of ST's Standard Peripheral Library.

That's what I'm using with IAR Embedded Workbench for ARM v5.30 and v5.40 (testing 5.40 for any issues before changing).

I suspect IAR is providing the (old) ST libraries as a courtesy but if you're starting from scratch I'd use v3.1.0 (I started with v3.0.0 and updated).

I installed the ST stuff on a separate drive (and path) since, as far as I'm concerned, it has nothing to do with the IAR product.

jschatz
Associate II

V3.1.0 is what I was actually referring to...

I put the newer libraries into a sub-directory that is next to the older library's sub-directory. However, the older library may never be referred into my programs because the pointers for register descriptions appear to have changed.

I am new enough to the embedded 'C' process that I have a feeling that you will see other questions posted by me in the future!

Thank you for your suggestion. I think I will be using the new libraries-