Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-installing the DFU Firmware on an STM32F205RFT6

kingtama
Associate II
Posted on October 17, 2015 at 18:49

Hi Community,

I was using a NetDuino 2 Board which is just an STM32F205. Since I couldn't get the USB HID device to work correctly I thought I would take a shot at making my own firmware for the board. I created a blinking LED App. It worked! Compiled it using Keil MKD v5. Converted the .HEX file to a .DFU

Then Performed an ''UPGRADE'' on the board. The LED is blinking just how I programmed it. However, I see that what I should have done was to UPLOAD the .DFU program I believe. So I've overwritten the DFU Bootloader. I've searched everywhere in this forum for help on this so please excuse if this is a really fundamental question.

I realize I need to use the ST-LINK board and the JTAG interface to fix this.

How do I create another .DFU Bootloader Firmware for my STM32F205RFT6 MCU and using ST-LINK to upload it?

Thank you.

#dfuse #dfu #st-link
4 REPLIES 4
Posted on October 17, 2015 at 19:17

No, the primary DFU loader is in ROM so you're not going to erase/overwrite that. Make sure BOOT0 is pulled/set high, and reset the chip/board. This will enter the System Loader, with its DFU support.

Secondary, user supplied, DFU firmware in FLASH can get overwritten, but that's another matter.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
kingtama
Associate II
Posted on October 17, 2015 at 20:40

Hi Clive,

Thanks for the reply. Ok, I'll try that. This board has a little button that was used before to put it into DFU mode that I would press and hold while plugging it into the USB. That doesn't appear to be working anymore. I'll look at the schematic and determine that in fact the button is attached to BOOT0. Might be I'll have to reset using the pin header and jumper.

So what is the difference between Upload and Upgrade in the dfuse_demo application?

Posted on October 17, 2015 at 23:12

I haven't used the NetDuino, it might have it's own loader, you'll have to check their website and documentation. If they have one, I'm sure it's available as a binary, or hex file of some description.

Don't use DFU a lot, used it to unbrick a few boards, you'll have to review the documentation for the tools and the loader.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
kingtama
Associate II
Posted on October 21, 2015 at 00:27

As it turns out my button wasn't working correctly. So pressing it harder made the board go into DFU mode. Your suggestion put me on the right path and was finally able to after trial and error configure the PLL for the right settings so the CubeMX HID USB Device would work correctly.

DFUSE Demo uses some bizarre terminology. Upgrade is what I needed to use all along to Upload the firmware to the MCU. The Upload Option will Download the firmware from the MCU.