Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NOR memory internal address

Lecordier.Guy
Associate II
Posted on October 22, 2015 at 11:47

Hello,

I would like to program an external flash (S29GL128S10) connected to the STM32F429 at address 0x64000000  using the ST-LINK Utility.

I didn't find an external Loader for this need so I am trying to create it using the examples and the module STM32F4xx_hal_nor.c from Cube V1.8.0

But I am a little lost with the ''NOR memory internal address'' parameter in some functions of the module STM32F4xx_hal_nor.c

In the function HAL_NOR_ReadBuffer()

* @param  uwAddress: NOR memory internal address to read from.

But in the line: 

*pData++ = *(__IO uint16_t *)uwAddress;

uwAddress should be the full address

In the function HAL_NOR_ProgramBuffer()

* @param  uwAddress: NOR memory internal start write address

NOR_WRITE(NOR_ADDR_SHIFT(deviceaddress, NOR_MEMORY_8B, uwAddress), (uwBufferSize - 1));

uwAddress must be the internal address: ok

but some lines later

p_currentaddress  = (uint16_t*)((uint32_t)(uwAddress));

NOR_WRITE(p_currentaddress, *pData++);

p_currentaddress should be the full address

It seems to me that these functions should not work.

In the function HAL_NOR_Erase_Block()

What should be the difference between the Address parameter and the deviceaddress data.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Posted on October 22, 2015 at 15:10

For a 16-bit NOR the address bus is shifted on the STM32, the A0 pin of the NOR is actually the A1 from the processors perspective. The NOR device has a number of magic addresses/constants that must be sequenced to the chip. So 0x2AAA must be shifted left once so that exact pattern is presented to the chip at it's interface pins.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Lecordier.Guy
Associate II
Posted on October 22, 2015 at 15:56

Thanks Clive,

My trouble is the definition of the parameter uwAddress (NOR memory internal address to read from) in the STM32F4xx_hal_nor.c module and its use

*pData++ = *(__IO uint16_t *)uwAddress;

I think it should be

*pData++ = *(__IO uint16_t *)(deviceaddress + uwAddress);

Or using the MACRO

*pData++ = *(__IO uint16_t *)NOR_ADDR_SHIFT(deviceaddress, NOR_MEMORY_8B/16B, uwAddress);

Regards,

For a 16-bit NOR the address bus is shifted on the STM32, the A0 pin of the NOR is actually the A1 from the processors perspective. The NOR device has a number of magic addresses/constants that must be sequenced to the chip. So 0x2AAA must be shifted left once so that exact pattern is presented to the chip at it's interface pins.

Posted on October 22, 2015 at 19:13

I'm not looking to get into the HAL implementation. The NOR memory is within the regular addressing space of the processor and can be directly accessed as such.

The Write/Erase require some gyrations when communicating with the NOR part that need specific offsets.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..