Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VCOM project from L053 to L051

sai
Associate II
Posted on November 11, 2015 at 15:29

Hello,

I have a query. I have a Virtual COM demo Project by ST. It is meant for L053R6 with Blue NRG chip. Will the same work on L051R6 with the same Blue NRG chip? The UART pins seem to be the same.

I changed the device in Keil Options for Target and also defined the preprocessor as STM32L051xx. So, it compiles with no errors and warnings.

However, when I try to open the com port through Blue NRG GUI, it says ''invalid event. unknown event code.'' I am communicatiing with the GUI through UART, using a USB-UART converter.

#stm32 #bluenrg #bluetooth #nucleo
2 REPLIES 2
Posted on November 11, 2015 at 19:14

Will the same work on L051R6... However, when I try to open the com port ...

You seem to have answered your own question.

Compiling and linking without error just means there aren't any egregious syntax errors or missing code. It's not a stamp of functional correctness.

I'm not using L0 parts, I'd presume the differences would  show up from a comparison of the Data Sheets/Manuals for the two parts. Start there, and check things like clocks, and available peripherals.

I'm confused, and perhaps intrigued, by the use of a Virtual COM Port (VCP) and a USB-to-Serial converter. If you're building a VCOM why the physical connection?

I have a Virtual COM demo Project by ST

Can you provide a cite, or path for that? Assume that there are very few people here using the exact same combination of parts, and the more accessible you make your question to the broader community the better chance you'll get a useful answer.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
sai
Associate II
Posted on November 12, 2015 at 16:03

Hello clive1,

Thank you very much for viewing my query and answering.

I am yet to solve the problem. I have started with the datasheets and the USART and SPI ports that I am using, seem to have the same pin number (which are the only two modules required for VCOM and blueNRG chip interface).

Well, as you know, VCOM uses the USART ports but through the USB interface. But in my board, I have supplied power through an external power supply and in order to use VCOM, am using the USART. and then USB to UART converter on the PC end, thats how I can send commands to the controller through GUI. And I program my controller using an external debugger. All this for a product about which I can't really discuss .

Thank you again for your help. If you have time, can you check my query on half duplex UART?

Best regards,

Sai