Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F405xx Controller Interface With EEPROM

koyala
Associate
Posted on February 25, 2016 at 11:16

Hello,

One of the requirement for my project is to log diagnostic data periodically over a period of time.

Controller used is STM32F405xx, LQFP64. As it does not have the on chip EEPROM, I want to interface (via SPI) externally.

As per my customer requirement, Diagnostic data and raw data to be logged for every 20 minutes. For one year backup, I need 6.727Mbit (each data set 32 bytes) and write cycles are 26280.

Concern:

I found EEPROM from ST � �M95M02-DRMN6TP�. Size is only 2Mbits and cost is around $1.5

Even for 6 months data backup also, this is very high cost (>$3) solution for target price of product.

There are other type memories � NAND flash/NOR Flash which are very cheap. Endurance and Retention time are very less than EEPROM, but looks feasible for my requirement.

-

Are there any other dis-advantages of Flash memory?

-

Is there any low cost solution from ST products? Preferably <$1.

I have read lot of material from on-line, but couldn�t able to conclude. Kindly suggest.

Regards,

Govind.

#eeprom #spi #stm32f405xx
3 REPLIES 3
Posted on February 25, 2016 at 15:03

I'd probably look at an SPI Flash, and the internal Flash of the STM32 itself as your requirements wouldn't seem to stress that.

The other alternative might be a MicroSD card.

You might also want to determine if your data is compressible.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
mark239955_stm1
Associate II
Posted on February 26, 2016 at 04:16

Admittedly not an ST product, but e.g. Digikey are offering 8Mbit Spansion S25FL208 SPI Flash in SOIC8 package for AU$0.55 in single units.

pkumar1883
Associate II
Posted on February 29, 2016 at 08:24

Dear rao_k.govinda,

Best solution is to use MicroSd Card. Would be cheap, easy to use and you can use a file system supported on multi platforms also(like windows). Data recovery is easy.

/

*Please

mark helpfull

if this post helps you or solves your problem.*/

/* If you need any personal support for your work please contact at 

embeddeddesign.help@gmail.com*/