Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F4 DISCOVERY KIT - USB JTAG Module Implementation

koyala
Associate
Posted on February 17, 2016 at 07:48

Hello,

We have an requirement for field program-ability using USB interface. Our SW development team already using ''STM32F4 DISCOVERY KIT'' for their development activities. Controller is STM32F407VGT6.

The discovery kit uses ''STM32F103C8T6'' microcontroller to convert USB to JTAG interface. Also it has many other features (like CAN, 7 timers, 2 ADCs) and cost is around $3. 

I am looking for low cost solution to meet my cost target. 

- Is there any standalone USB-JTAG IC available from ST/any other ?

-  And does the existing solution requires any firmware to be loaded into STM32F103C8T6? ( because it is MCU )

Please suggest.

Regards,

Govind. 

#stm32f407vgt6 #stm32f103c8t6
2 REPLIES 2
mark239955_stm1
Associate II
Posted on February 17, 2016 at 12:21

If you just want field reprogramming, as opposed to JTAG/SWD support, you could use the USB bootloader that most USB-capable STM32's support.  Search the ST website for ''DFU''.

Posted on February 17, 2016 at 18:24

I am looking for low cost solution to meet my cost target. 

Your cost target is what exactly?

The minimal cost solution is to use the DFU or USART boot loader in the STM32F4 part you are using. The DFU mode can be demonstrated via the Micro USB connector on the STM32F4-DISCO, and jumpering BOOT to VDD. The USART mode isn't workable due to a large capacitor on the PA9/10 pins of USART1. USART3 might be usable, haven't had cause to check.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..