cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VDD/VCORE Range 1 Voltages. 1.8V from 1.71V?

nkatch
Associate II
Posted on August 14, 2017 at 11:18

Hi,

Something is puzzling me. In the reference manual for the STML0x1 devices (Figure 11 and in other places) it states that, for Vcore Range 1, Vcore is regulated to 1.8V. It states that this is true for Vdd of 1.71V to 3.6V.

Can someone please explain how 1.8V is acheived from 1.71V please?

Is Vcore boosted somehow or does it fall to 1.71V?

If it does fall to 1.71V, I assume it is OK to run at 32MHz?

Thank you!

Nick.

4 REPLIES 4
Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on August 14, 2017 at 18:39

Hi

kitchen.nick.002

‌,

The voltage regulator allows a dynamic voltage scaling to get the expected VCore value.

To be fully functional at full speed, the device requires a 1.71 to 3.6 V operating voltagesupply (VDD), making possible to reach the digital power voltage VCORE close to 1.8 V(product voltage range 1).

This is what explains the

http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/application_note/fd/f4/6b/40/9a/b5/41/a2/DM00112pdf/files/DM00112pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00112pdf

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

nkatch
Associate II
Posted on August 15, 2017 at 15:07

Thank you for marking this as resolved.

I will ask elsewhere.

Posted on August 15, 2017 at 15:11

Hi,

If new questions are about same topic, you can continue asking them here.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Posted on August 15, 2017 at 15:26

Maybe it's not absolutely crystal clear, that the '1.8V' is always accompanied by 'typical' and 'close to', e.g. in the AN Amel mentioned above:

To be fully functional at full speed, the device requires a 1.71 to 3.6 V operating voltage supply (V DD ), making possible to reach the digital power voltage V CORE close to 1.8 V (product voltage range 1).

In other words, the 1.8V is a nominal value needed for maximum operation speed; the requirement for the user is 1.71V min.

JW