Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F107 - mass storage device

rtursen
Associate II
Posted on June 17, 2016 at 11:06

Hello,

I am planning to build a device with a STM32F107, The user should be able connect to the system via both Ethernet and USB.

When connected via ethernet, I should inform the IP address of STM32F107 to the user.

For this I thought about the following, can you please comment if this is possible?

When the user plugs in the USB cable, my device will act as a Mass storage device and pop up as a folder.

In the folder, a txt file will be shown, an STM32F107 will write the IP address it gets in this txt file

Can you please guide me about how to implement this scenario?

thanks a lot

rifo

#mass-storage
8 REPLIES 8
Walid FTITI_O
Senior II
Posted on June 17, 2016 at 12:31

Hi rifo.rifo,

I recommend that you take a look to both these examples in STM32CubeF1 library:

- ''MSC_Standalone'' :  at this path STM32Cube_FW_F1_V1.3.0\Projects\STM3210C_EVAL\Applications\USB_Device\MSC_Standalone

- ''LwIP_UDP_Echo_Client'' at this path: STM32Cube_FW_F1_V1.3.0\Projects\STM3210C_EVAL\Applications\LwIP\LwIP_UDP_Echo_Client

Based on those MSC and Ethernet example, you are able to start a combined project.

You can also, use the STM32CubeMx tool to generated new initialization code by programming all your parameters inputs.

-Hannibal-
rtursen
Associate II
Posted on June 20, 2016 at 10:52

Hello Hannibal,

Thanks a lot for your answer. I will start with the example projects. One thing though,

The ST evaluation board is a little bit pricey for me. 

I found the below development board from Olimex

I am planning to do the development on this. Do you think that this would be okey?

thanks a lot

Posted on June 20, 2016 at 14:22

There are several F107 boards, you'll likely have to do some porting to get code designed for the EVAL board to work on them. Pins/Peripherals tend to be slightly different.

The F107 is rather old at this point, any strong driver for choosing it over newer parts?

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
rtursen
Associate II
Posted on June 20, 2016 at 21:41

Hello Hannibal,

Thanks for your answer. Actually I was looking for the cheapest option that had ethernet and usb. I guess, I didn't do my search thoroughly.

Can you please recommend some newer parts?

thanks!

rifo 

Posted on June 20, 2016 at 23:51

Something you are developing commercially? Or just tinkering?

The Nucelo-144 boards run $20-25, and provide USB and ETHERNET, at least the F429 and F767 models

Some of the F4/F7 DISCO boards have ETHERNET, USB and MICROSD

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
rtursen
Associate II
Posted on June 21, 2016 at 06:34

Hello Hannibal

It will be a commercial product. I have checked the nucleo boards as you suggest and found 

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/stmicroelectronics/NUCLEO-F429ZI/497-16280-ND/5806777

for 25$ bucks

However the 

STM32F429ZIT6 on it, is sold for 16$ on digikey whereas the F107 is sold for 8$, can you please suggest whether going with F107 would pose problems?

or maybe, there are other alternatives too?

thanks again for your help

rifo

Posted on June 21, 2016 at 14:57

Yeah, I don't think I'd use Qty 1 pricing from DigiKey for the basis of a commercial design

The F2/F4 are architecturally a lot better designed than the F1, you'll want to review your speed and memory requirements, and also the availability of PHY and other components.

rtursen
Associate II
Posted on June 26, 2016 at 08:33

Hello,

thanks again for the input. I will then check with my distributor about the price.

I will also check the availabilty of the phy too. I guess it's not easy to switch to a new phy from the reference design.