cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HAL_PCD_EP_GetRxCount returning wrong value ?

Geoffrey1
Associate III
Posted on May 18, 2017 at 20:28

I'm using  

STM32Cube_FW_L4_V1.6.0 for long bulk transfers (up to 4096 bytes).   When the stm32 receives a packet longer that 64 bytes,  HAL_PCD_EP_GetRxCount returns a number 1-64 (e.g. a packet of 1024 returns a length of 64).  The received data seem to be correct, so I'm confused about the incorrect packet length (plus it's impossible to detect errors !).   Has anybody seen a similar problem ?

Geoffrey

5 REPLIES 5
Imen.D
ST Employee
Posted on May 19, 2017 at 11:35

Hi

Brown.Geoffrey

Please use the last STM32CubeL4 firmware version 1.8.0 as contains update on HAL PCD driver.

Then, keep us updated about your progress on this.

Thanks

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
Geoffrey1
Associate III
Posted on May 19, 2017 at 14:32

I've moved to the latest 1.8.0 firmware, without a change. Here's what I am attempting to accomplish. I have written a bulk driver and want to receive large packets. In my code I call prepare receive:

USBD_LL_PrepareReceive(pdev,
 BULK_OUT_EP,
 hcdc->RxBuffer,
 hcdc->RxLength);�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?

In the specific case that is causing me trouble, hcdc->RxLength is greater than 64 bytes (e.g. 1024). In my ***_DataOut function, I attempt to capture the length of data received.

hcdc->RxLength = USBD_LL_GetRxDataSize(pdev, epnum);�?�?�?

USBD_LL_GetRxDataSize is simply a wrapper for HAL_PCD_EP_GetRxCount.

***_DataOut is called by the usual chain

HAL_PCD_DataOutStageCallback -->

USBD_

LL_Da

taOutStage --> ***_DataOut

The problem is that USBD_LL_GetRxDataSize seems to return the size of literally the last packet (e.g. 64 bytes or less) received rather than the total amount received since the last call to USBD_LL_PrepareReceive.

Either I'm misunderstanding the intended behavior of USBD_LL_GetRxDataSize (not unlikely: as a side note, to the STM documentation team, procedure prototypes document syntax, but not semantics), or there is a but in the libraries. If the former, please give a hint about how to accomplish my goal. If the later, please give a workaround.

Geoffrey1
Associate III
Posted on May 19, 2017 at 14:55

ok, I hate having to grovel around in the HAL code just to figure out what is going on. Here's a bit of stm32l4xx_hal_pcd.c that seems wrong (around line 1585):

/*multi-packet on the NON control OUT endpoint*/
 ep->xfer_count+=count;
ep->xfer_buff+=count;
 if ((ep->xfer_len == 0) || (count < ep->maxpacket))
{
 /* RX COMPLETE */
 HAL_PCD_DataOutStageCallback(hpcd, ep->num);
 }
else
 {
 HAL_PCD_EP_Receive(hpcd, ep->num, ep->xfer_buff, ep->xfer_len);
 }
�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?

It seems the intent is to repeatedly call HAL_PCD_EP_Receive until the full packet is received. The code moves the buffer pointer (line 3), but in line 12 continues to provide the original length. Looks like a potential buffer overrun

(hint: it should probably be ep->xfer_len - ep->xfer_count).

Posted on May 19, 2017 at 15:24

Ok, I see the driver bug now. In the call to HAL_PCD_EP_Receive above, ep->xfer_count is reset to zero:

HAL_StatusTypeDef HAL_PCD_EP_Receive(PCD_HandleTypeDef *hpcd, uint8_t ep_addr, uint8_t *pBuf, uint32_t len)
{
 PCD_EPTypeDef *ep = NULL;
 ep = &hpcd->OUT_ep[ep_addr & 0x7F];
 /*setup and start the Xfer */
 ep->xfer_buff = pBuf;
 ep->xfer_len = len;
 ep->xfer_count = 0;
 ep->is_in = 0;
 ep->num = ep_addr & 0x7F;
 if ((ep_addr & 0x7F) == 0 )
 {
 USB_EP0StartXfer(hpcd->Instance, ep, hpcd->Init.dma_enable);
 }
 else
 {
 USB_EPStartXfer(hpcd->Instance, ep, hpcd->Init.dma_enable);
 }
 return HAL_OK;
}
�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?

So, it behaves exactly as I said -- only the length of the last received packet is preserved. All that business of incrementing ep->xfer_count is for naught. Here's a dirty fix:

/*multi-packet on the NON control OUT endpoint*/
 ep->xfer_count+=count;
 ep->xfer_buff+=count;
 if ((ep->xfer_len == 0) || (count < ep->maxpacket))
 {
 /* RX COMPLETE */
 HAL_PCD_DataOutStageCallback(hpcd, ep->num);
 }
 else
 {
 uint32_t tmp = ep->xfer_count;
 HAL_PCD_EP_Receive(hpcd, ep->num, ep->xfer_buff, ep->xfer_len - tmp);
 ep->xfer_count = tmp;
 }�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?

I hope that ST will do the right thing and test their PCD code a bit more thoroughly.

BTW, the same bugs exist for HAL_PCD_EP_Transmit, and a similar fix is required if xfer_count is expected to be meaningful, and it to eliminate the possibility of a buffer overrun.

Posted on May 19, 2017 at 18:30

Thank you

Brown.Geoffrey

for your contribution.

Your reported issue is underinvestigation and I will keep you informed about the taken actions/explanation if needed.

Thanks

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen