cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GNU ARM plugin + OpenOCD + STM32F3 Discovery - cannot load the binary onto the board

alexxxx89
Associate
Posted on November 27, 2015 at 08:24

I'm using the GNU ARM plugin for Eclipse with Open OCD as a debugger. This is on Windows 10 x64. The problem I'm facing is the following error when trying to debug or run the sample program:

Error in final launch sequence

Failed to execute MI command:

load C:\\Development\\stm32-test\\Debug\\stm32-test.elf

Error message from debugger back end:

Load failed

Failed to execute MI command:

load C:\\Development\\stm32-test\\Debug\\stm32-test.elf

Error message from debugger back end:

Load failed

Load failed

There are several kinds of STM32 project templates that the ARM plugin offers. Most notably, there's the ''STM32Fxxx C/C++ project'', and it works out of the box no problem. But it's bundled with the old version of STM32 library. I wanted to use the latest STM32F3Cube, so I used the other template - ''Hello World ARM Cortex-M C/C++ project'', as per the recommendation of

http://www.carminenoviello.com/en/2015/06/04/stm32-applications-eclipse-gcc-stcube/

. It's designed for use with the STM32F3Cube, and it's the one I can't load onto the board.

Please tell me what further information is needed for dealing with this issue, or how I can collect more detailed logs etc. I'm in urgent need of a working project skeleton.

Thanks in advance.

P. S. I have compared the debug configuration settings between the working and non-working projects, and found no difference. Same .cfg file, along with everything else. Is my .elf being rejected because there's something wrong with it?

#debugging #stm32f3discovery
2 REPLIES 2
alexxxx89
Associate
Posted on November 27, 2015 at 10:55

Found the problem: I didn't notice that I also need to edit the flash origin address in the mem.ld script. It's mentioned in the article I referred to, but I missed it. Doing that solved the issue.

Nesrine M_O
Lead II
Posted on November 27, 2015 at 11:47

Hi giraffe.violet,

Thank you for posting your findings and how you fixed the issue, it is good to hear that it was solved. 

-Syrine-