Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Measured Power Curve for the Stm32f407 Discovery Kit

nadir
Associate
Posted on December 04, 2015 at 19:22

Hi, 

In a goal of a personal project, i am trying to profile energy consumption of an ARM MCU board, so i take the ''stm32F407 discovery kit'' as an experiment example.

In my power measurement experiment i always get a really weird current curve pattern, for which i have no exact explanation and perhaps a member of this forum could answer.

As you can see it on the joined image( 

http://www.noelshack.com/2015-49-1449253117-figure-1.png

), this pattern have a moutain-like form. between the highest and lowest peak we have almost  ''2mA difference''. 

Some notes about the measurement:

• For Power measurement i use an Agilent Power Analyzer
  • it's not a default with my board. I test on multiple STM32F4 and it's always the same.
  • I find also the same weird pattern on a SAM-Atmel Cortex M0 Board or a Nucleo board (with a Stm32F4 MCU)
  • I don't think the problem come from my power analyzer : I performed measurement with simple resistors and i don't get this weird pastern, however i don't exclude this possibility.

Thanks in advance for every answer or indication on my problem.

Nadir,

#stm32f4 #stm32 #measure #discovery
1 REPLY 1
raptorhal2
Lead
Posted on December 05, 2015 at 23:36

The only common item in all your tests is the analyzer and operator. Edit: The analyzer has a default sampling duration of 30 seconds, which matches the severe transitions in power in the display. Other than that I have no other observations.

Cheers, Hal