Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Input Capture module in pulse count example

rumlyen
Associate II
Posted on January 16, 2016 at 07:49

Hello all,

In an external pulse count application, is it possible to capture Timer counts at fixed interval using input capture (IC) module while external input (TIM5_CH1) is driving timer time-base (through TI1F_ED).

I've also tried just storing TIM5->CNT at every RTC interrupt, but found some irregular counts. May be this irregularity is for other interrupts (of high priority) with LP Sleep implementations.

I request some advice on how to configure this capture module (if possible on STML151, clock tree attached). I've configured TIM_5 like this:

/* Reset the CC1E Bit to configure CC1S bit of CCMR1 Reg */

TIM5->CCER &= (uint16_t)~((uint16_t)TIM_CCER_CC1E);

tmpccmr1 = TIM5->CCMR1;

tmpccer = TIM5->CCER;

/* TIM5 Input CH1 is selected to be connected to IC1. and reset the filter */

tmpccmr1 &= (uint16_t)(((uint16_t)~((uint16_t)TIM_CCMR1_CC1S)) & ((uint16_t)~((uint16_t)TIM_CCMR1_IC1F)));

tmpccmr1 |= (uint16_t)(TIM_ICSelection_DirectTI | (uint16_t)(0x00 << (uint16_t)4));

/* IC Rising edge and set the CC1E Bit */

tmpccer &= (uint16_t)~((uint16_t)(TIM_CCER_CC1P | TIM_CCER_CC1NP));

/* Write to TIM5 CCMR1 and CCER registers */

TIM5->CCMR1 = tmpccmr1;

TIM5->CCER = tmpccer;

//Input Trigger source TIM_TS_TI1F_ED: TI1 Edge Detector.

TIM_SelectInputTrigger(TIM5, TIM_TS_TI1F_ED);

//Slave Mode TIM_SlaveMode_External1: SMS=111

TIM_SelectSlaveMode(TIM5, TIM_SlaveMode_External1);

/* TIM5 enable counter */

TIM_Cmd(TIM5, ENABLE);

4 REPLIES 4
Posted on January 16, 2016 at 15:23

You mention ''irregularity'' but neither define the numbers you are seeing, or the frequency of the signal, or expectations.

If you had a 1 Hz pulse you could apply that to CH2 and have it latch CNT into CCR2

You could use another timer, triggering a DMA1 read of CNT, the latency/jitter in that sample point would be smaller than an interrupt.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
rumlyen
Associate II
Posted on January 16, 2016 at 17:58

Thank you for your kind response.

I've a fixed custom PCB to work with (~MHz input source for Tim5_CH1). I afraid I can't add any external module/input right now. I guess, internal trigger or another timer can't be applied/routed to TI2.

From L151 datasheet, DMA requests can be generated from Tim2-7 peripherals only. As internal clock changes in Run/LP sleep mode, I'm trying to avoid Timer internal clock to initiate DMA transfer. Here, only Tim9-11 has (LSE) independent clock source.

Could you please suggest me an alternative (if any) for this peripheral-memory DMA configuration.

Thank you for your time.

Posted on January 16, 2016 at 23:38

> I've a fixed custom PCB to work with (~MHz input source for Tim5_CH1). I afraid I can't add any external module/input right now. I guess, internal trigger or another timer can't be applied/routed to TI2.

You have a more substantial problem. The timers' inputs are synchronized, so you have to have a high-speed APB clock running to be able to run the timer from an external clock. See fEXT specification in the Timer characteristics section of datasheet.

JW

rumlyen
Associate II
Posted on January 17, 2016 at 04:12

Thank you JW,

I've founnd,

f_EXT is 0 ~ f_TIMxCLK/2.

I have a confusion, is it necessary to have fixed processor clock (or APB1 clock) for accurate external pulse count ? If LP_sleep/Run mode toggles, APB1 or TIMxCLK would change.

I've configured for External clock source mode 1 and reference timing diagram is attached for your kind comment.

Thank you

Attachments :

External_clock_source_mode_1_Stm32l151.PNG : https://st--c.eu10.content.force.com/sfc/dist/version/download/?oid=00Db0000000YtG6&ids=0680X000006I16X&d=%2Fa%2F0X0000000bic%2F601vhwYWE4CX8yHyqCC0rs7Z1mbbP1v.kxabdBkD.jo&asPdf=false