cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get max WIFI speed performance on SPWF?

daniil
Associate II
Posted on August 22, 2016 at 10:50

Hello!

I'm building the system with cooperation of Host MCU - SPWF at one side and PC with client-program at the other side. They are in the same LAN and they communicate through wifi router. SPWF is a TCP-server and it works in DATA MODE, program on the PC is TCP-client. Host MCU generates data (ADC samples) and sends data stream via UART to SPWF. I use 875000 baud console speed and hardware flow control with 3000 threshold. MCU generates, for example, six 8-bit channels at 4kHz sample rate. It's 24000 bytes per second. I have an internal circle buffer which size is 92000 bytes only (MCU SRAM is limited). It fills with new data in tail and MCU sends some data bytes from the buffer's head when SPWF allows (RTS is low). When RTS is high MCU desn't send data and only collects new data.

And the problem is that SPWF produces wifi data from serial so slowly... It often pulls RTS pin high. And host MCU stops to send new bytes to console whereupon an internal buffer is overflowed and new data lost.

But what is the reason of SPWF behavior? According to documentation (2.4 GHz IEEE 802.11 b/g/n transceiver) SPWF provides speed up to 54 Mbit/s. I send via serial lower than 1 Mbit/s. SPWF must communicate much faster through wifi than serial port. It's as a glass and a bucket.

Could you explain how to tweak SPWF to get maximum wireless speed performance?

Best regards,

Daniel

#wifi #spwf01
3 REPLIES 3
Posted on August 23, 2016 at 21:48

Hi Daniel,

54 Mbit/s refers to wifi chip. Current FW release speed is around 50Kbps.

More or less, which transfer rate are you looking for?

daniil
Associate II
Posted on August 24, 2016 at 05:45

Hi, Jerry!

It is very poor info.

At least 1Mbps is the rate that satisfies all my needs in my application.

Do you have any ideas how to improve?

Posted on August 24, 2016 at 10:23

Due to low RAM, SPWF as default is not able to reach 1Mbps.

Please contact your local ST office/distributor...