Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STMStudio Issues

labprog
Associate
Posted on January 04, 2016 at 10:43

Good morning,

recently my company has renewed its workstation park with some machines running windows 7 pro 64 bits. 

The issue is that since this upgrade we're no longer able to use STMStudio efficiently: data visualization correctly starts but after a random amount of time (goes from few seconds up to minutes) STMStudio stops showing the following error code: ''Acquisition stopped after 10 consecutive communications error''.

Note that the same exact program still works ok on our older machines. 

In the following I report some infos that could better describe the environment considered:

OLDER MACHINES: win XP pro 32 bits, JRE 8.51, STMStudio 3.4 beta

NEWER MACHINES: win 7 pro 64 bits, JRE 1.8.0_66 (x86), STMStudio 3.4 beta. Also tried with ssame JRE as older machine, but same results.

Hoping someone could get clue on this topic,

Best wishes

Andrea

#stmstudio
1 REPLY 1
S C
ST Employee
Posted on January 05, 2016 at 10:34

Hello,

this error means that the host is not able to retrieve a full data frame during a ''long'' period. This might happen when target resources are temporarily unavailable, for instance on a STM8 target running some WFI or HALT instructions.

If the target is expected to be from time to time into such a ''limited'' state, it is possible to increase the probability for the host to get data by:

1. reducing the frame size (reducing the number of acquired variables, or regrouping them as much as possible in consecutives addresses)

2. increase the threshold in Acquisition Settings-Automatically stop the acquisition after XXX consecutive communication errors (where XXX is defaulted to 10)

It's difficult to understand how a difference at PC OS level might impact this; it may be perhaps Win7 is issuing 10 attempts more quickly than Win XP ?? I would also recommend to double check, if you still have a machine under XP:

1. that the target application did not change since the PC update

2. that the STMStudio configuration is exactly the same (list of variables, acquisition settings ...). The easiest way for that would be to reuse the .tsc or .tsp file, if you still have the one used on XP.

Best regards