cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32 Lifecycle.

mbmail4
Associate II
Posted on January 16, 2016 at 23:51

Hi, I'm new to the ST web site and I've been looking for information relating to the projected lifecycle of the STM32 cpu, predominately the medium density stm32f103 series. I want to know when its likely to be fazed out and become a legacy product. Can anyone point me in the right direction, does St provide this type of information for all its products?

cheers

4 REPLIES 4
Posted on January 17, 2016 at 02:15

It's already pushing 9 years old.

On some of the new parts they are talking about a 10 year commitment, and the migration path and footprints are pretty clear. If you are worried, have a plan, look at the other members of the family, and what PCB design choices you can make to ease migration. We stopped designing in F1 parts several years ago, the design changes made then allow us to use a very wide range of F2 and F4 parts interchangeably, depending on customer demands for speed and memory. Realistically in today's market you're going to have to rev a board within five years, because something is going to go EOL, or it's more cost effective to use other higher running parts.

http://www.st.com/web/support/product_longevity.html

I don't work for ST, but the EOL for products is driven by a number of factors, mainly how many are currently being sold, and the viability of the production and test lines. ie if there are more profitable uses for the line, or the test equipment fails or is obsoleted. Sales numbers are hard to predict long term, and manufactures are much quicker these days to kill things which are going nowhere, or are unprofitable.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
mbmail4
Associate II
Posted on January 17, 2016 at 09:26

Thanks Clive just what I was looking for.

the quote from this page is:

For STM32 ARM® Cortex®-M and STM8 microcontrollers the 10 years longevity commitment starts from the following dates:

•STM32F1 Series, starting January 1st 2016

So Clive would you say the STM32F1, is the chip I'm currently looking at STM32F103RBT6?

I labour the point just in case there is an ST anomaly going on 🙂

cheers

Posted on January 17, 2016 at 16:29

Honestly I'm a little skeptical, the promise is overly broad. When Micron did this, they had a  narrow subset of parts, and only promised that they would support the foot prints with form and function, and this might be achieved with die shrinks and process changes. Business conditions are going to move the goal posts. I would expect the prices to increase as volumes drop, and the support/design staff move to other projects and companies. I think ''support'' and the ability to die/wafer bank are different things. ST outsources some of the package formats, so there are almost certainly some external dependencies beyond their control.

10 Years is a long time, a lot of things can happen, companies merge or go bankrupt, factories can be overwhelmed with tsunamis. The cycles for consumer electronics parts are 18 months to 2 years, and are the things which are going to drive profitability. We are already seeing a move to just building to order, rather than speculative production. Now there are industrial customers who have these 10-15 year time lines, and commitments their customers are pushing, but these are going to be high margin applications, that can defy economic drivers effecting everyone else.

You should talk with your ST sales reps to fully understand what the commitment is, and what it's real scope is.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
mbmail4
Associate II
Posted on January 17, 2016 at 22:21

Thanks Clive for your insight. Complicated subject. I'' try and get more information before going ahead.

cheers