Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fail to launch STLINK debugger

mbmail4
Associate II
Posted on August 16, 2016 at 14:40

Hi.

Its been so long since my last project with STM32, and I have created a new C project with SW4STM32 for my stm32vl discovery board and when I try to run the debugger, I get the following error.

Error in final launch sequence

Failed to execute MI command:

-target-select remote localhost:3333

Error message from debugger back end:

localhost:3333: The system tried to join a drive to a directory on a joined drive.

localhost:3333: The system tried to join a drive to a directory on a joined drive.

I’ve noticed there isnt a default template for this kit so I created a new custom board when prompted by the wizard, so I’m wondering is this my problem, how do I start the debugger.

My other board is a nucleo, and when I create new projects I just use the default template wizard, fill in the details, and the debugger starts every time.

Martin.

4 REPLIES 4
Posted on August 16, 2016 at 15:04

The VL Discovery uses the original ST-LINK V1, this might impeded usage with software expecting newer models.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
mbmail4
Associate II
Posted on August 17, 2016 at 00:37

Thanks clive1, I've come across that before, and actually I have upgraded this board a while ago.

But you answer has prompted a question whether I selected the correct STLINK. The options are ST-LinkV2, ST-LinkV2-1, I think I selected ST-LinkV2.

Which one is the correct selection for the discovery board?

Aso I noticed there is a ''stm32vl_discovery.cfg'' file in my project root directory, I recall this is a debug config file, is that correct?

Martin

Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on August 17, 2016 at 12:54

Hi b.m.002,

In

http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/user_manual/group0/d0/f7/45/d7/3b/96/47/b3/DM00285842/files/DM00285842.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00285842.pdf

, you have the following information:

''The SW4STM32 does not support ST-LINK. Consequently, STM32VLDISCOVERY can not be used with SW4STM32 software toolchain''.

-Mayla-

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

mbmail4
Associate II
Posted on August 18, 2016 at 00:39

Thanks Mayla. I thought I read most docs on this board, but just goes to show, read the fine print.