Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeMX display resolution problem

misagh
Associate III
Posted on June 27, 2017 at 16:27

Hello ST team,

I think the STM32CubeMX code generator has a big problem with screen resolution. I'm using a laptop with 4K display, so my CubeMX appears like following screenshots, which are annoying in many cases: Almost half of most table rows appear vertically, the texts sometimes are too small or too large and so on:

0690X00000607RtQAI.png0690X00000607UdQAI.png

Can this problem fix?

Bests,

Misagh

#cube-mx #stm32cubemx
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
misagh
Associate III
Posted on October 21, 2017 at 05:53

Hello everybody,

Finally I

found a really simple solution:

Create a batch file (for example cubeMX.bat) and write following code on it:

java -Dsun.java2d.uiScale=2.5 -jar '$path\STM32CubeMX.exe'

which $path is your cubeMX installed path. For example my path is 'C:\Program Files\STMicroelectronics\STM32Cube\STM32CubeMX' so my bat file contains:

java -Dsun.java2d.uiScale=2.5 -jar 'C:\Program Files\STMicroelectronics\STM32Cube\STM32CubeMX\STM32CubeMX.exe'

Then save the file and run it. The resolution problem should be fixed.

Bests,

Misagh

P.S: I tasted this method on windows 10 with jre-9 and worked!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Posted on June 27, 2017 at 16:51

Dale has been pushing this issue for awhile, there were threads/complaints before this one

https://community.st.com/0D50X00009XkfPjSAJ

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on June 27, 2017 at 17:28

Hey

Turvey.Clive.002

‌,

Thanks for reply. You are right! I should do some search on forums before new post. However, the bad news is there are newer versions of CubeMX after that report, but they didn't fix it

:(

Regards,

Misagh

Posted on June 27, 2017 at 19:22

Hi

Salmanzadeh.Misagh

I will raise your feedback internally to CubeMx team.

Regards

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
Dalmo Lima
Associate II
Posted on July 10, 2017 at 17:58

Hello ST Team,

The Cube is BAD with 4K resolution monitor,  but the ST MCU Finder is REALLY BAD.

Please, do something quickly!

Best regards,

Dalmo

Greg Smith
Associate II
Posted on July 10, 2017 at 19:28

I also use a 4K display and find the cube output difficult to read. Please consider scaling the font sizes by real physical size, or allow us to set a larger font size. Also, the toolbar icons are stupidly small. I have attached an image illustrating how the icons are too small... In our own Windows software we calculate the physical size of the fonts and icons taking into account the scaling set for the monitor. You need to use icons of at least 32x32 if not 48x48 or more to work with 4K displays. I run with scaling set to 175%.

0690X00000607XBQAY.png

Perhaps you could get someone in the development team to try to use a 28'' 4K display and see how they cope with the tiny fonts and icons...

Posted on July 10, 2017 at 19:09

Quickness is clearly not something I'd rely on. Dale's complaint is over 6 months old, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't the first, the Apple guys have been complaining longer, I'm just not that bothered to dig up cites. Screen resolution issues with user interfaces have been a problem for decades. Usually someone on the dev team has some UI skills, and an appreciation for people having different displays, with different settings and preferences. The 'one size fits all' mentality has never worked, ever.

Posted on July 10, 2017 at 19:54

>>

In our own Windows software we calculate the physical size of the fonts and icons taking into account the scaling set for the monitor.

Exactly, we had to deal with this back in the day when most people had 640x480 or 800x600, screens, and no one else in the office had any appreciation for things outside the parameters they were used too. I had to source my own monitors and video cards otherwise I just get the catch-of-the-day crap the store was buying. A Viewsonic P815 and video card to drive it maximal (

1800 x 1440 at 76 Hz

) ran about $2K. Engineers need better screens than accountants...

When you ship product to tens of thousands of individuals with different computers, screen sizes, preferences, and vision characteristics, you have to make sure this stuff is right otherwise your phone is on fire unnecessarily. And I really liked my front-line tech-support staff, and they appreciated I had their backs.

The Register and Inquirer <G>

Daniel Debrunner
Associate
Posted on October 10, 2017 at 16:10

Hello CubeMX developers

I am sorry to be back with this issue, but 4K screens and CubeMX do not go together. We are here more than two dozen people facing this issue almost daily. No way to project educational slides with this kind of nonstandard dialog windows:

0690X00000608RZQAY.png

or speedbuttons that are as tiny as 2x2mm on some screens and not decipherable.

To ST HMI developers: Please keep in mind, that the first front-end impression to critical students may make it difficult for the instructor to pass a positive message about CubeMX to students.

Thank you very much for a soon release after 4.22.1 of software where listbox line height calculation and list item font size is being computed by the underlying native environment API and not apparently by the development tool which fails in this respect.

Otherwise, CubeMX has made tremdous progress during the last two years. Congratulations!

Daniel Debrunner, Bern University of Applied Sciences

misagh
Associate III
Posted on October 21, 2017 at 05:53

Hello everybody,

Finally I

found a really simple solution:

Create a batch file (for example cubeMX.bat) and write following code on it:

java -Dsun.java2d.uiScale=2.5 -jar '$path\STM32CubeMX.exe'

which $path is your cubeMX installed path. For example my path is 'C:\Program Files\STMicroelectronics\STM32Cube\STM32CubeMX' so my bat file contains:

java -Dsun.java2d.uiScale=2.5 -jar 'C:\Program Files\STMicroelectronics\STM32Cube\STM32CubeMX\STM32CubeMX.exe'

Then save the file and run it. The resolution problem should be fixed.

Bests,

Misagh

P.S: I tasted this method on windows 10 with jre-9 and worked!