cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST Link V2 Keeps last bin File open

Posted on June 22, 2018 at 17:04

I'm trying to figure out a way around this: After I program a micro, the ST Link V2 Utility keeps that .bin open as a default tab. So, on the next unit, unless you pull down the tab and browse to your new firmware, it keeps the .bin it just used, and programs the micro with the old firmware. 

The problem is that we need to put a differently encrypted file to each unit in production. It's a very time-consuming pain to track down a couple mis-serialized units. 

So: Is there a way to turn off that default tab? It even stays there after closing and reopening the program. If the person who is programming clicks on Open... for each unit, then they will have to choose the firmware. That was the workaround, but it seems human nature will always get in the way and try to find the shortcut when programming 10k units. They probably figure they can just skip to Connect and Program & Verify. We'd like to take that out of the equation for failure if possible.

(We're working on an executable that will automate all this stuff, but the contract manufacturers are still cranking through thousands of units, and we need to solve this now.)

#st-link-utility #stlink-v2 #stlinkcommand #commandline
4 REPLIES 4
David SIORPAES
ST Employee
Posted on June 22, 2018 at 17:58

For automated batch programming a better alternative would be to use the command line version of the ST-Link tool. See 

https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/user_manual/e6/10/d8/80/d6/1d/4a/f2/CD00262073.pdf/files/CD00262073.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.CD00262073.pdf

for all the details.
Posted on June 22, 2018 at 20:30

Thanks, I didn't realize that was available. I've been able to program with our Segger pod, too, but setting read protect is a bit more of a pain. 

However: I can't seem to enter any commands with the CLI. It closes right away after I hit 'enter'. I updated to 3.2.0.0, and it still does it. There's no typical command line to enter it on, either. And nothing on Google about it. Any advice there?

Posted on June 23, 2018 at 05:18

Maybe you should read the manual...

https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/user_manual/e6/10/d8/80/d6/1d/4a/f2/CD00262073.pdf/files/CD00262073.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.CD00262073.pdf

'4 STM32 ST-LINK utility command line interface (CLI)'

Posted on June 25, 2018 at 11:41

Hello,

you need to call ST-Link CLI utility from your favorite Command Line Interface (e.g.: Cygwin, DOS, PowerShell,...).

For example, if using DOS, a '.bat' script like this can be used to flash with minimal user intervention a batch of boards:

@echo off
:again
echo Programming board
ST-LINK_CLI.exe -P myfirmware.bin 0x08000000 -V
echo Programming done
pause
goto again
�?�?�?�?�?�?�?