cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32 DFU mode loads wrong driver (Total Phase)

JacobV
Associate II
Posted on February 14, 2017 at 02:48

Hello,

When I put my STM32F4 device into DFU mode, it is recognized as a ''Total Phase PD Analyzer Update Mode'' device instead of a ''STM Device in DFU Mode''. I can force using the STM DFU drivers, but by default it uses the Total Phase drivers, thus making it not visible to update the FW (either in my software or DfuSe Demo).

It looks like the Total Phase driver uses the same VID\PID. Is there something I'm missing to set these drivers apart?

0690X00000606GAQAY.png

Thanks!

#dfu #stm32
6 REPLIES 6
Posted on February 14, 2017 at 03:45

The 0483/DF11 Vid/Pid belong to ST, others could have perhaps abused that.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on February 14, 2017 at 03:50

Hey Clive, thanks for the reply!

Followup question: So am I stuck having to manually update the drivers when this happens (and in turn having all my device customers do the same), or is there some other way to signal windows to use the STM drivers instead?

Posted on February 14, 2017 at 04:28

Do all your customers install the Total Phase drivers?  It isn't a problem I encounter.

You could provide your own DFU updater rather than use ST's ROM, but then you'd need you own Vid/Pid and drivers, etc.

Posted on February 14, 2017 at 04:32

The majority will have the Total Phase drivers installed, so it looks like I'll have to pursue the second option you mention.

Thanks for your input Clive!

Posted on February 14, 2017 at 05:57

You could get Total Phase to fix things, or use their update method, which presumably is using ST's DFU method.

Posted on February 17, 2017 at 02:13

Just a followup in case anyone else is curious how this resolved.

I am able to detect when the Total Phase driver is used instead of the ST one, so I simply pop up a warning to the user to change the driver of the affected device. For my target users this is an acceptable course of action, and avoids accidentally switching legitimate Total Phase devices to the wrong driver myself.

Not the most automagical solution admittedly, but given the circumstances I think it's acceptable. Additionally, I believe Total Phase will be fixing this issue, so spending too much time on it would be a waste of time.