Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

digital light dimmer

l90mehdi
Associate II
Posted on October 08, 2016 at 16:08

hi every one

i am working on the digital light dimmer. i control my ssr by stm32f1.

i have big problem.i want design the circuit that protect ssr(triac) when load will be short so that ssr not damage.

but  any method that i know can not  hep me.

this topic should be in other group such as power electronic

but if any body know the my question please help me.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Benoit RENARD
Associate III
Posted on December 01, 2016 at 11:50

Hello Medhi,

Triac is a device that is automatically turned off at the zero current when not drived by a gate current. No way to turn the device off when the current is flowing.

Even if the Triac technology allows high current robustness compare to MOSFET technology, if a short-circuit of the load appears when the Triac is ON, the way to protect the Triac is to add a fuse in series with the Triac and the load.

To design the fuse and to be sure that the Triac can withstand safely the high current before the cut-off event, take a fuse with a I²t parameter below the Triac specified I²t (see datasheet of your Triac).

Hope it helps,

Best Regards

Benoit  

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Benoit RENARD
Associate III
Posted on December 01, 2016 at 11:50

Hello Medhi,

Triac is a device that is automatically turned off at the zero current when not drived by a gate current. No way to turn the device off when the current is flowing.

Even if the Triac technology allows high current robustness compare to MOSFET technology, if a short-circuit of the load appears when the Triac is ON, the way to protect the Triac is to add a fuse in series with the Triac and the load.

To design the fuse and to be sure that the Triac can withstand safely the high current before the cut-off event, take a fuse with a I²t parameter below the Triac specified I²t (see datasheet of your Triac).

Hope it helps,

Best Regards

Benoit  

Tinh Nguyen
Associate
Posted on June 16, 2017 at 06:57

Hi 

Medhi,

Do you know about Triac T1635-700G-TR. I'm doing about this IC. 

Posted on June 20, 2017 at 15:05

Hi Dear Tinh. 

No I am working on power MOSFET

because short circuit protection is impossible with triac.

I'm sorry that I can not help.

thank you