cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CubeF0 1.9.0 ceases Atollic support. Why?

hjs
Associate II
Posted on September 27, 2017 at 09:54

Hi !

Does anybody know the reason for:

Projects:

Remove 

support of

Atollic TrueSTUDIO STM32 (TrueSTUDIO)

toolchain.

Are all Cube versions affected?

Best regards,

HaJo

7 REPLIES 7
Posted on September 27, 2017 at 14:38

ST has been pushing to migrate GNU/GCC chains to their free System Workbench platform.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
John Craven
Senior
Posted on November 29, 2017 at 22:18

I just saw the same when i upgraded my F3 firmware to 1.9.0

I did install System Workbench back when i started looking at STM32. 

This is quite disappointing! Well i guess i got lucky when i choose the subscription rather than perpetual! LOL

John Craven
Senior
Posted on December 13, 2017 at 15:37

Maybe to drive down the price?

Posted on December 13, 2017 at 17:19

Certainly would tighten the screws on negotiations. The STM32 family seem to be generating a lot of revenue, not sure throwing it on a tool development play is the direction I'd go. Tool teams are a huge revenue sink hole, hard to quantify the 'value' they bring, especially when it is the chips guys making the m*gic happen. Also would tend to poison relationships with Keil (ARM) and IAR.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on December 13, 2017 at 19:10

Well, ST do seem to be (almost?) unique in not having their own in-house free (as in beer) IDE...

Posted on June 25, 2018 at 08:37

Didn't ST buy Atollic TrueStudio in December, 4 months after they removed support? I would have thought a decision such as this wouldn't have been made in that short of a time span. Was the Cube development team not made aware of a possible buy, or at least given a directive not to remove support for Atollic toolchain?

Given now that it is June 2018, there does not seem to be any patch to re-include support. Does anyone know if this specific change will be reversed?

Cheers

Posted on June 25, 2018 at 11:15

Adam Hamilton wrote:

Didn't ST buy Atollic TrueStudio in December, 4 months after they removed support? 

🙂

🙂

🙂

🙂

🙂

🙂

🙂

🙂