Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HAL: Without USART interrupt, HAL_UART_Transmit_DMA() will work only once

arj
Associate
Posted on April 19, 2016 at 19:56

Hi,

I use CubeMX+HAL with a Nucleo-64 with an STM32F411 (FW package v. 1.0). I configured USART2 in DMA mode to send data to a PC connected to the ST-Link. I disabled the USART interrupt for performance reasons (whats the point in using the interrupt if you have DMA?). I noticed that I receive data on the PC after the first call to HAL_UART_Transmit_DMA but on subsequent calls to the function, no data is received on the PC (having waited long enough to ensure that the previous transmit is complete). A quick debug session shows that in subsequent calls to HAL_UART_Transmit_DMA, the functions immediately returns HAL_BUSY because huart->gState != HAL_UART_STATE_READY. This is the case because UART_DMATransmitCplt relies on the USART interrupt to be enabled to reset huart->gState to HAL_UART_STATE_READY. I would appreciate it if you could change the behavior of UART_DMATransmitCplt so that DMA transmits work without the USART interrupt. In my case, changing the definition of UART_DMATransmitCplt to the following code solved my problem:

static void UART_DMATransmitCplt(DMA_HandleTypeDef *hdma)
{
UART_HandleTypeDef* huart = ( UART_HandleTypeDef* )((DMA_HandleTypeDef* )hdma)->Parent;
/* DMA Normal mode*/
if((hdma->Instance->CR & DMA_SxCR_CIRC) == 0U)
{
huart->TxXferCount = 0U;
/* Disable the DMA transfer for transmit request by setting the DMAT bit
in the UART CR3 register */
huart->Instance->CR3 &= (uint32_t)~((uint32_t)USART_CR3_DMAT);
/* Enable the UART Transmit Complete Interrupt */
// EDITED BY USER:
// I do not want to use the usart interrupt!
//__HAL_UART_ENABLE_IT(huart, UART_IT_TC);
huart->gState = HAL_UART_STATE_READY;
}
/* DMA Circular mode */
else
{
HAL_UART_TxCpltCallback(huart);
}
}

Thanks and all the best Arne
1 REPLY 1
Nesrine M_O
Lead II
Posted on April 25, 2016 at 15:19

Hi Arne,

The enable of the USART handler in this case is mandatory as it is described in the USART specification: 

In fact the main purpose to add the handler is to be sure that the USART communication is complete by checking the TC flag : 

The software must wait until TC=1. The TC flag remains cleared during all data transfers and it is set by hardware at the last frame’s end of transmission. 

For more details refer to the Continuous communication using DMA paragraph in the

http://www2.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/reference_manual/9b/53/39/1c/f7/01/4a/79/DM00119316.pdf/files/DM00119316.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00119316.pdf

reference manual.

-Syrine-