Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOOT DFU USB with STM32F427 dont work

pinballsp
Associate II
Posted on May 04, 2016 at 01:53

Hello:

I have develop a board where may install STM32F407, STM32F405 or STM32F427. Board is always same, and work perfect with F405 and F407 about the BOOT option to upload firmware by DFU USB.

But when I install an F427, and connect it in BOOT mode, Windows never recognize it, though firmware that also use USB work perfect with same board/MCU.

Do not know what happen, why Windows do not recognize USB device STM32F427 when put it in BOOT mode to upload firmware by DFU USB.

Somebody may help me about it ?.

I have do already a lot of tests and never work. Seem more a problem about drivers because of Windows do not recognize it, but work perfect DFU USB and Boot with STM32F405 and F407, same computer, same board.

And I have test already with at least 10 boards, so its not a defective board, also test with same amount of STM32F427 microcontrollers, Windows always say ''Unknow device'' when connect it in boot mode, but only with F427, with F405 and F407 always work fine.

Thank you.

#boot-dfu-usb-stm32f427
6 REPLIES 6
Posted on May 04, 2016 at 04:03

What's the version number of the System Loader on the parts that fail? What date code/markings do the devices have?

Have you confirmed the HSE starts on the problem devices, how long from enable to ready?

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
pinballsp
Associate II
Posted on May 04, 2016 at 04:11

Hello clive1, thanks for reply.

Where may I see the version number of the System Loader ??

Do not understand what do you mean with date code/markings, if you mean all the references printed in chip, attached picture about one.

About HSE if you mean the oscillator, tested with 10 boards, all work when upload firmware with ST-Link V2 programmer, only can not upload with BOOT DFU USB when board install a F427 MCU, because of Windows do not recognize it. But when board run firmware, USB work perfect, only DFU USB not recognized.

Attachments :

F427.jpg : https://st--c.eu10.content.force.com/sfc/dist/version/download/?oid=00Db0000000YtG6&ids=0680X000006I1LR&d=%2Fa%2F0X0000000bla%2FXcipkrXCUXo_9.T8XiCLyhsV2UrU1aS08IE3UN02gzQ&asPdf=false
Posted on May 04, 2016 at 12:00

Review the documentation for the ROM based loader, there's a command to read the version.

That your code works via ST-LINK update really doesn't quantify the HSE start time or performance. You need to measure that start time and measure the frequency via the MCO pin. The System Loader is dependent on specific HSE performance for DFU/USB connectivity.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
pinballsp
Associate II
Posted on May 04, 2016 at 12:09

Do you mean the problem may be the crystal quartz I use in circuit ??, Its extrange because of same circuit, same crystal quartz work with with F405 and F407 microcontrollers, but fail with F427. Its a crystal quartz 8 Mhz with same schematic that use Discovery board.

And USB work fine with my firmware application, but fail in DFU for F427, but same board with F405 or F407 work fine with DFU and USB in firmware.

How may I send the command to read the system loader version ?

Thank you.
Posted on May 04, 2016 at 14:35

You are using different firmware and silicon. USB operation is dependent on the correct measurement of the external clock source. HSE is benchmarked, and needs to be one of a short list of frequencies, per documentation.

You'd connect via USART1 or USART3, and send a couple of hex commands. Nominally 0x7F and then 0x01,0xFE, ie Get Version

http://www2.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/application_note/51/5f/03/1e/bd/9b/45/be/CD00264342.pdf/files/CD00264342.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.CD00264342.pdf

You could probably also download the ROM and pull the version bytes out of that.

Perhaps you need to work through this with your ST FAE, or those of your distributor.

pinballsp
Associate II
Posted on May 06, 2016 at 15:28

Nobody has same problem with F427 and BOOT mode ??

Seem everybody only use BOOT mode with F407.

Yesterday I received a batch of 50 pcs of F427, these printed KOR (Korea manufactured), hope these install a different and correct ROM Boot, because of with my current F427, tested alredy more than 20 and all fail with BOOT mode, but with same board if install F405 or F407 boot mode work perfect.