Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standard libraries for STM32L0XX ??

moranf
Associate II
Posted on October 18, 2017 at 08:30

Hi All,

Why there are no standard libraries for the STM32L0XX family?

Building a new project for  

STM32L0XX depend only on HAL / LL ??

link to ST standard libraries download page :

http://www.st.com/en/embedded-software/stm32-standard-peripheral-libraries.html?querycriteria=productId=LN1939

Thanks in advance,

Moran.

#hal #standard-peripheral-library #ll-drivers
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Szymon PANECKI
Senior III
Posted on October 18, 2017 at 08:45

Hello Moran Farkash,

This is correct that there are no Standard Peripheral Librariers for STM32L0 family of MCUs.

Starting from the beggining of STM32 history (year 2007) ST was developing Standard Peripheral Library for each new STM32 family. It happened for these families: F0, F1, F3, F4 and L1. However at some point of time ST decided to switch from Standard Peripheral Library to HAL and LL. As a result these older STM32 families got HAL and LL in addition to already existing Standard Peripheral Libraries. And newer STM32 families (L0, L4, F7, H7) got only HAL and LL.

Standard Peripheral Libraries should be now considered as an obsolete solution. ST didn't update them for few years already. In order to use the latest firmware HAL and LL should be used. In fact if you like Standad Peripheral Library, then LL should be a right choice for you, as it offers similar 'look and feel' and also it generates similar size of the code.

Best regards

Szymon

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Szymon PANECKI
Senior III
Posted on October 18, 2017 at 08:45

Hello Moran Farkash,

This is correct that there are no Standard Peripheral Librariers for STM32L0 family of MCUs.

Starting from the beggining of STM32 history (year 2007) ST was developing Standard Peripheral Library for each new STM32 family. It happened for these families: F0, F1, F3, F4 and L1. However at some point of time ST decided to switch from Standard Peripheral Library to HAL and LL. As a result these older STM32 families got HAL and LL in addition to already existing Standard Peripheral Libraries. And newer STM32 families (L0, L4, F7, H7) got only HAL and LL.

Standard Peripheral Libraries should be now considered as an obsolete solution. ST didn't update them for few years already. In order to use the latest firmware HAL and LL should be used. In fact if you like Standad Peripheral Library, then LL should be a right choice for you, as it offers similar 'look and feel' and also it generates similar size of the code.

Best regards

Szymon
Posted on October 18, 2017 at 09:17

Thanks, Szymon.

robd
Associate II

For the record, our company wanted to use an L0 chip (for its small size) in a new design but after trying out the HAL libraries we scrapped it and went with a PIC. We have happily used the L1's and F1's with the SPL libraries.

I really don't see HAL as a good commercial solution.  We end up multiplexing pins and HAL gets upset with that.  You lost us on this product specifically because you do not offer the SPL libraries for the L0 chips.  I'm sure my company is not the only commercial user that has avoided you for this.

The cost of making the SPL libraries for all your chips would be very trivial compared to what you have spent on HAL and I'm a fairly certain would pay for itself in more chip sales.

Our company invested considerable time building rock solid reliable libraries based on SPL and you have basically flushed our investment.  This leaves me uncomfortable choosing any ST chips going forward.

Sincerely,

One Disappointed ST Customer