cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32L4 Discovery VCP

Ricardo Hassan
Associate III
Posted on May 25, 2016 at 23:11

I'm trying to use CubeMX to generate code for a STM32L4 Discovery board.  I'm trying to get a virtual com port working over the user usb port, not the usb st-link.  I can't manage to get this to work.  I have the drivers installed on my PC host, and it recognizes the st-link as a VCP, but not the user usb port. In my CubeMX project I have enabled the USB_DEVICE as a Communication Device Class (Virtual Port Com).  I've also enabled USART3, and set up the solder bridges per the user manual (SB24 and 25. What am I missing?  Is there an existing example for the STM32L4?

#vcp #stm32l4-discovery-usb
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Nesrine M_O
Lead II
Posted on May 26, 2016 at 10:25

Hi hassan.ricardo,

I recommend you to have a look to the CDC_Standalone example under the STM32L4 cube firmware package, it may be helpful:

STM32Cube_FW_L4_V1.5.0\Projects\STM32L476G_EVAL\Applications\USB_Device\CDC_Standalone

Also you find under the firmware package a set of applications about USB device based on STM32L476G-Discovery board: 

STM32Cube_FW_L4_V1.5.0\Projects\STM32L476GDiscovery\Applications\USB_Device

-Syrine-

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Nesrine M_O
Lead II
Posted on May 26, 2016 at 10:25

Hi hassan.ricardo,

I recommend you to have a look to the CDC_Standalone example under the STM32L4 cube firmware package, it may be helpful:

STM32Cube_FW_L4_V1.5.0\Projects\STM32L476G_EVAL\Applications\USB_Device\CDC_Standalone

Also you find under the firmware package a set of applications about USB device based on STM32L476G-Discovery board: 

STM32Cube_FW_L4_V1.5.0\Projects\STM32L476GDiscovery\Applications\USB_Device

-Syrine-
Ricardo Hassan
Associate III
Posted on May 26, 2016 at 19:36

Thanks Syrine,

That was what I really needed.  I was under the erroneous idea that I needed a UART device that somehow magically connected to the USB OTG, but the firmware device does all the work already.  

Regards,

Ricardo