cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STEVAL-MKI159V1 connection to Raspberry PI 3

jigle004
Associate
Posted on May 25, 2016 at 18:57

Hello everyone. This is my first posting on this forum. I am an electrical engineering major completing a senior design project. I am designing a smartwatch and I purchased the STEVAL MKI159V1 motion sensor and this will be my first time working with the Raspberry PI 3 microcomputer and my first time working with a motion sensor. My question is where can I find instructions on how to connect the STEVAL MKI159V1 that contains the LSM9DS1 to the Raspberry PI 3 via the I2C connection on the Raspberry PI 3.? This was not taught in my EE education and I want to make sure it is connected correctly. I plan on measuring the motion sensor data and eventually filtering out any noise. Thank you for any input you can give me.

#mems
1 REPLY 1
louda.marian
Senior
Posted on June 29, 2016 at 17:04

Hello Jose,

I already send response to the forum, but thanks to ''well-designed'' ST pages nothing was send and whole work is gone. So again from scratch.

I am not an expert for Raspberry, but I2C is the same everywhere. I will try to answer the question.

You can download schematic for MKI159V1 and datasheet for LSM9DS1 from ST web.

MKI159V1 Pin       Raspberry GPIO Pin

13                           9 (GND)

1,2,18,19,23           1 (DC power 3.3 V)

22                           1 or 9 (I2C address selection, refer to datasheet)

20                           5  (I2C SCL)

21                           3  (I2C SDA)

20                           Pull-up resistor 3k3 to pin 1

21                           Pull-up resistor 3k3 to pin 1

This is the minimal configuration.

If you want to use interrupts for Raspberry notification you have to still connect MKI159V1 pins 14..17 to GPIO pins of Raspberry.

I hope that this will help.

Best Regards,

Marian