cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

line level audio out?

dennis
Associate II
Posted on June 05, 2016 at 15:42

I'm using the STM32F746G to play with some audio DSP stuff and it's working fine with headphones but when I connect the output to external amps I get whine and low signal level.  I'm using the

OUTPUT_DEVICE_HEADPHONE

from the demo.  I would expect it to be a fairly strong line level signal.

Any tips?

Thanks.

P.S. I would spend more time searching this forum if it were not so painfully slow.  They must be hosting on a 286.

3 REPLIES 3
dennis
Associate II
Posted on June 05, 2016 at 22:18

Still wading thru the datasheet for the WM8994 DAC but it's fairly complex.  Is there any chance the headphone output is class D and the lack of an apparent signal there as a ''line output'' is due to lack of inductive/capacitive loading?  What would I put in place, just a single pole LPF?  470 resistor 0.01 cap maybe and tap signal off the cap?

dennis
Associate II
Posted on June 06, 2016 at 19:40

At this point I'm just presuming the audio path on this board is not super pristine.  I seem to see a lot of crosstalk between the line inputs and the headphone outputs and that in turn limits my levels.  So I just do a balancing act between levels and noise floor.

I'm open to suggestions/workarounds though obviously.

dennis
Associate II
Posted on April 17, 2017 at 04:42

I posted this question almost a year ago.  I still have low level whine in the audio output.  Turning the volume for 0 for the DACs doesn't seem to affect it so it seems like it's in the hardware.

Any ideas?  Anyone ever added some more uF across the power supply?  Tantalum?

Dennis