cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activatating ST-Link crashes STM32F429I-DISC1 discovery board

news
Associate II
Posted on June 26, 2016 at 19:24

I am trying to download code to my STM32F429I discovery board using KEIL tools.

I enter ''Configure Flash Tools'' - Debug Tab; and press on ''Settings'' next to ST-Link Debugger.  The running demo stops; the COM Led (LD1) rapidly flashes red/green then stops; and the window reports ''ST-LINK USB communications error''.  If I close the ''Settings'' window and re-open it, it reports ''No ST-LINK detected''.  The board appears like it has ''crashed'' or held in reset.  If I unplug the discovery board and plug it in again.  I can repeat the process.

If I just try to Download, I get ''No JTAG Devices Found''

I just downloaded the new ST-Link V2 driver; according to the KEIL tools the version is V2J24S12.

Can anyone help?  Sorry if this is a repeat; this seems like it would be a common problem.  I searched the forum but I did not find a discussion of this situation.

If it makes a difference, I am running Windows 7.

-Craig Goldman

#stm32f429discovery #st-link
4 REPLIES 4
Posted on June 26, 2016 at 19:43

You don't want JTAG connectivity, you want SWD mode connectivity. The DISCO can't support JTAG to the F4

That is a firmware version of the ST-LINK, not the driver, I'd recommend updating to the newest via the ST-LINK Utilities, there were some issues with a couple of the firmwares preventing connectivity to USB Charger type power supplies.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
news
Associate II
Posted on June 27, 2016 at 22:00

Thank you.

I downloaded the ST-Link utility and upgraded.  This fixed the communications problems.

But I still get...

Error: flash Download failed - ''Cortex M4''

Are there any other unusual download settings that are needed for these Discovery boards?  I looked at the project options for their demo code and I did not see anything special, but I may have missed something.

-Craig Goldman

news
Associate II
Posted on June 27, 2016 at 22:01

Posted on June 28, 2016 at 03:48

Make sure you have a flash algorithm selected for the F4 2MB part, this is a sub-pane of the Debug Settings/Configuration

Other options that can help are ''Connect under Reset'', especially if code running on the device is apt to break debugger connectivity, ie power down, or reconfigure the GPIOs

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..