cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can we demonstrate Radio Equipment Directive (2014/53/EU) compliance with the SPWF01SC/SPWF04SC?

steve239955_stm1_st
Associate II
Posted on June 14, 2017 at 14:43

We've designed a product that uses the SPWF01SC + Sagrad antenna (as specified in the datasheet) and would like to consider migrating to the SPWF04SC + Sagrad antenna. Looking at the datasheets however, both modules have only been tested to EN 300 328 v1.9.1 whereas the new Radio Equipment Directive (2014/53/EU) appears to require testing to the EN 300 328 v2.1.1 standards which include a new receiver blocking test.

We wish to use the Sagrad antenna with the SPWF04SC and so would need to repeat the EN 300 328 tests to v2.1.1 with our board and the antenna. I noticed that there's an 'etf_mode' configuration variable available but no documentation as to what the engineering test functions are for different values of etf_mode. I've therefore got a few questions about getting our product through the compliance testing:

1) Are the etf_modes documented anywhere or can you tell me what they should be set to in order to test the module under EN 300 328?

2) The new receiver blocking test in v2.1.1 requires that the module performs with less than a 10% packet error rate with a signal present on a frequency adjacent to the one under test; is it possible to stop the frequency hopping of the receiver for this test and also to configure another SPWF module to send data on a single RF channel to it? If so then what would be the best way to verify that we're meeting the <=10% PER, send lots of short UDP packets perhaps from one module to the other?

Many Thanks,

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Posted on June 14, 2017 at 17:48

You can keep certification if antenna (Sagrad) is having smaller peak gain than the one we used for certification (Titanis).

Ask for docs to your distributor or ST direct contact.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Posted on June 14, 2017 at 17:29

Ciao Steve,

all SPWF01 & SPWF04 have been already certified according to latest RED. Ask for docs...

However, if you need to certify again (do you have another RF on your PCB?), you can contact your distributor or ST office to get package required to use the etf_mode (enginnering test firmware).

BR

jerry

Posted on June 14, 2017 at 17:40

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your quick response; we'd like to use the Sagrad antenna as detailed in the SPWF01SC datasheet with the SPWF04SC but the certification tests that ST have done are using the Titanis antenna so we'll need to repeat the tests unless ST have test results performed with the SPWF04SC + Sagrad antenna?

How can I get hold of the RED test results?

Thanks,

Steve

Posted on June 14, 2017 at 17:48

You can keep certification if antenna (Sagrad) is having smaller peak gain than the one we used for certification (Titanis).

Ask for docs to your distributor or ST direct contact.

Posted on June 14, 2017 at 17:52

Excellent news - thanks for your help; I'll follow up with the UK sales office.

Thanks,

Steve