cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32 driver problem

pedro1
Associate II
Posted on June 03, 2016 at 05:46

I have a quadcopter flight board that uses an STM32 processor. The Dfuse stm3280 zip is downloaded and then the driver from this is installed. You are then asked (by the boards designer) to replace this driver with a WinUSB driver by using Zadig. So I so this and get confirmation from Zadig that this has been successful but when I go to connect the flight boar, via USB  to the software interface to set it up, it shows as unknown device in Windows 7 Device Manager indicating to me that there is no driver installed. Is there any other way that I can force this board and its STM32to use this WinUSB driver that is required to allow it to connect properly 

http://alienflight.com/firmware-flashing-f3/

is a link to the instructions for this driver changing for this flight board. Thanks for any help or suggestions as I have exhausted all other areas of help within GitHub and the main Quadcopter discussion groups.
13 REPLIES 13
Posted on June 03, 2016 at 06:09

So if the part is in DFU mode, and you want to download a firmware surely you can take the .DFU (or create one from a .HEX or .BIN in DFU Manager) and just use the standard DFuSe tools. This circus with Zadig makes no sense to me.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
pedro1
Associate II
Posted on June 05, 2016 at 09:08

I would ask that you excuse me for my obvious lack of knowledge here please clive1, I am only following the directions of the designer of the flight board. The device will go into DFU mode and can be flashed with it's firmware but in order to configure this board in the GUI that allows you to do this it must connect via serial and obviously show up in a Com port in Windows 7 device manager. This is where the problem lies. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and as I said please excuse my rudimentary understanding of ll of this

Posted on June 05, 2016 at 12:15

Can you please cite the other support threads you have open on this topic.

When in configuration mode are you supposed to boot the board into an operating mode rather than the system loaders DFU mode?

pedro1
Associate II
Posted on June 08, 2016 at 02:57

I do not have any other support threads open in these forums, just a Gihub issue for Zadig and quite a few quadcopter forums. In relation to ''When in configuration mode are you supposed to boot the board into an operating mode rather than the system loaders DFU mode?'' To flash firmware you need to be in DFU mode but to configure via the CleanFlight configurator you are connected via a serial port. To get a better understanding could I have attached the firmware flashing instructions so you can see what the procedure is and see if you can offer any suggestions. Zadig is used to replace the STM driver with a WinUSB driver because the flight board has issues with the STM driver apparently. Thank you for your help clive 1

Attachments :

F3_AlienFlight_FLASHING_FIRMWARE.pdf : https://st--c.eu10.content.force.com/sfc/dist/version/download/?oid=00Db0000000YtG6&ids=0680X000006I0wb&d=%2Fa%2F0X0000000bfy%2F6Vje32Zm17t8wg1rV0hYoKUmfu23EEAMY94uNYPzbXw&asPdf=false
Posted on June 08, 2016 at 04:00

Ok, but these instructions, which you cited earlier, aren't working, so ponder what you're going to have to change.

Are you sure you are using the right WinUSB driver? Is it suitable for the Win7 32 or 64-bit platform you are using? Did the ST driver find the board in DFU mode? Can ST's DFU Manager software see the board?

When Windows claims it can't find it, what VID/PID is the Unknown device reporting? Do those match the one's Zadig was using?

pedro1
Associate II
Posted on June 08, 2016 at 08:38

The instructions are working for everyone that I know of other than myself and another friend. I have these issues on mu 32bit W7 PC but my PC at home running the same OS works perfectly. My friend with the same problem is also using the same OS. Therefore the instructions are good and the WinUSB driver that Zadig replaces the ST Driver with is also sound. As for the ST Driver finding the board in DFU mode I am not sure because the developer asked that it be replaced with the WinUSB Driver. ''Can ST's DFU Manager software see the board?'' Sorry to sound clueless but all I know about this is what I have been asked to do to get the board flashed and configured by the developer. How do I access ST's DFU Manager? In regard to ''When Windows claims it can't find it, what VID/PID is the Unknown device reporting?'' what is VID/PID please.

Do those match the one's Zadig was using?'' from my extremely rudimentary uderstanding, Zadig is just replacing the STM Driver with the WinUSB one. I realse that this must be very frustrating for you seeing as my knowledge of all this is so basic but I am explaining it in the best way that I can.

To me, and I may be wrong, seeing as the board is being seen and able to be flashed with firmware when in DFU mode, that part is all working as it should. The problem lies in when the board is connected without pressing the bind pin so the board can be configured. Am i correct in assuming that the board should be connecting via Serial now, which it is not and hence Windows is saying that there is no driver available. On a PC where the board works as it should, that is what happens, the board shows up as a virtual Com port and then can be configured in the quadcopter configuring environment called CleanFlight

Posted on June 08, 2016 at 13:23

Your first link had you download ST's DfUSe utilities, those.

The

http://www.google.com/#q=USB+VID+PID

Vendor ID and Product ID, in DFU mode are 0483 DF11, if they are DIFFERENT when you ''bind'' int the COM Port mode then this driver replacement trick ISN'T going to work. You need to go in with Device Manager, look at the Unknown Device, and look at the Hardware ID (VID/PID) of what the computer is actually seeing. It is likely not 0483 DF11, and that would be why it isn't using the WinUSB driver. Perhaps it needs an ST VCP driver?

If you are replacing the DFU device driver, then you need to ''bind'' in exactly the same way as before, not a different way.

pedro1
Associate II
Posted on June 09, 2016 at 02:12

clive 1 I really do appreciate your attempts to help me but I have to ask, when you say ''Your first link had you download ST's DfUSe utilities, those.'' what question that I asked is that in reference too because I really have no idea. I read your link about the USB VID/PID Vendor ID and when I get back to work (off sick) I will check it out, but if it is the wrong one, how I might rectify that if at all.

Posted on June 09, 2016 at 04:25

If they are different, then you'd need to ponder why the instructions suggest they should be the same. Do you need to boot the board differently, or do you need to use a different driver?

You could look at this in the context of how your friends computer is set up, or perhaps even use that to configure your board.