Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BlueNRG-1 internal MCU and SPP

SProg
Associate III
Posted on January 29, 2018 at 09:10

Hello everyone.

i am using the STEVAL-IDBB007V1 based on BlueNRG-1.I am interested on programming the internal MCU of BlueNRG-1 and use the BLE functions

Based on the Application Notes and examples, i understand that i can program the internal MCU (M0-Cortex)  and use the BLE functions without external MCU (in the board i see also the STM32L151CBU6), right ?

Also, i would like to ask if it's possible to implement the SPP protocol on BlueNRG-1.If not, what could be my next choice?

I read the below note on DT0068 Design tip but seems not clear.

In the Bluetooth Specification Core v2.0, the Serial Port Profile (SPP) has been introduced for the EDR Bluetooth Controllers. The SPP does not apply to the Low Energy Controller, which has been introduced in the Bluetooth Core Specification since version 4.0 and onwards. Nevertheless, it is still possible to implement a similar feature while working with a BLE-only Controller. This can be achieved by defining a vendor-specific profile that allows a transmitter and a receiver to exchange data over the link using Vendor Specific BLE Services and Characteristics. A reference SW implementation that demonstrates a simple 2-way communication between two BlueNRG-MS devices is available in the BlueNRG-MS Software Development Kit (SDK). The project is named “BLE Chat�?, located in the folder “Projects\Projects_STD_Library\BLE_Chat\EWARM_BlueNRG-MS�? within the STEVALIDB005V1 or STEVAL-IDB006V1 evaluation kits. If the user works with the NucleoL152RE and X-NUCLEO-IDB05A1 evaluation kit, the project can be found in the folder “Projects\Projects_Cube\BLE_Chat\EWARM_BlueNRG-MS�?.

3 REPLIES 3
Antonio Vilei
Senior III
Posted on January 30, 2018 at 09:55

Hello,

the Serial Port Pro�le SPP is available only for Bluetooth Classic, i.e. the older version of Bluetooth up to v3.x.

Please notice that BlueNRG-1 is a Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) device, also known as Bluetooth Smart.

Recent phones and tablets implement both Bluetooth Classic (mainly for compatibility with existing headsets and cars)

and Bluetooth Low Energy. These phones and tablets are said to be Bluetooth Smart Ready, because they can interact

both with legacy {and more power hungry) Bluetooth Classic and with new Bluetooth Smart devices like BIueNRG-1.

Just to get an idea, all newer devices like �tness bracelets and smart watches typically don't support Bluetooth Classic.

From a protocol point of view, Bluetooth Classic and Bluetooth Low Energy are different in many aspects. The former

has been speci�cally designed to reduce power consumption and enable long operation time for battery-powered

devices. Along with these changes, the SPP proï¬�le (that you are used to) has been removed from Bluetooth Low Energy.

With Bluetooth Low Energy, you can implement a proprietary pro�le that is similar to the old SPP, so that with your

application you can just send and receive bytes over the air. The 'BLE Chat' example that you mentioned implements

such a solution and can be used as a reference.

Best regards,

Antonio

SProg
Associate III
Posted on January 30, 2018 at 10:29

Thank you for the reply.

Is there any solution to have both BL/BLE on same chip? As i checked, ST does not implement this dual mode function on single IC.

Also, is there any library that implements by software the SPP /SPPL?

Posted on January 30, 2018 at 15:43

Replies to the latter questionare available in this other

https://community.st.com/0D50X00009XkeFrSAJ

Best regards,

Antonio