cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage of STM libraries in real world systems

Vu.Andy
Associate III
Posted on April 06, 2018 at 00:02

I was wondering if there is any data in term of how real world systems are using STM libraries.  We are developing an application that will use almost all of STM libraries for I2C, SUART, and CAN bus.  All the read/write and interrupt routines are basically STM libraries.  We just put our own wrappers around it.

I guess I just want to have some confidence in using the libraries.  I did find a few bugs in UART and CAN bus but I was able to find a workaround for it.

2 REPLIES 2
henry.dick
Senior II
Posted on April 06, 2018 at 00:15

This can be a sensitive topic. I have worked on multiple chips and with one exception I have never been asked to develop code using a particular library from either a hardware or software vendor. In that exception the particular library was very well known and highly respected.

I have developed code, however, with vendor libraries - both ST and non-ST libraries. Library uses are more prevalent on newer chips where my own code doesn't exist.

Like you, all of my vendor libraries are wrapped around through my own middle ware. No vendor library calls show up directly in my user code. A typical practice.

Posted on April 06, 2018 at 00:44

I'd imagine any data there is, is going to be rather anecdotal in nature.

Robustness is going to be primarily down to your own logic, and thorough testing.

ST's HAL library has a significant amount of their logic, exit paths and interrelationships. You should code-walk it like all the other code in your system, and hold it to your own standards for releasable/acceptable code.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..