cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are KEIL tool chains compatible with arm-none-eabi-gcc

Vu.Andy
Associate III
Posted on October 11, 2016 at 17:45

Does KEIL use the open source tool chain such as arm-none-eabi-gcc or does it use its own custom toolchain?

The reason I ask is we develop our libraries for the STM32F0 device but our libraries have to work with a different environment which uses open source arm-none-eabi-gcc.

So when I compile our libraries in KEIL, will it be compatible with an Eclipse based that uses arm-none-eabi-gcc? Can the .lib file from KEIL be understood by the arm-none-eabi-gcc toolchains?

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Posted on October 11, 2016 at 19:05

Both Keil and IAR have their own compilers and linkers that have existed a lot longer than GNU/GCC

The ELF objects created by Keil are probably not going to be compatible due to settings and symbols being used. Keil can use the GNU/GCC compilers in place of their own, you'll have to evaluate if that gets you where you need to get, or if you need to create a makefile with suitable settings for assorted Cortex-Mx parts and calling standards.

http://www.keil.com/arm/gnu.asp

When distributing libraries you're going to need to tailor/tune them to the tools, and versions, that the customer expects support for. You'll likely need to maintain multiple versions, and be aware of the internals of the object and library formats you are using.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Vu.Andy
Associate III
Posted on October 11, 2016 at 19:23

Thanks for the info.  It is very helpful.