cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the I2C Bus only send 9 pulses on the CLK line?

Vu.Andy
Associate III
Posted on August 15, 2017 at 23:20

I am using the STM32F072 device and the I2C bus to talk to a slave device.  The slave device is an Texas Instrument battery management device.  The problem is this slave device I2C probably has a bug that occasionally the SDA line is held low for whatever reason.  The TI engineer told me that when this happens, the I2C master can send  9 pulses on the SCLK line.

My question is can the STM processor send 9 pulses on the SCLK line?  How can my code does that?

Thanks.

-Andy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Posted on August 16, 2017 at 00:51

An I2C  bus, with a bunch of peripheral devices without any sort of asynchronous reset, you have to 'clock them out' of weird states. ie set SDA high, and bang SCL low and high, repeat for 9 or 10 cycles until SDA is released

If ST's super I2C implementation doesn't automate this, check manual, then drive the GPIO-OD pins directly... Problem remediated...

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Posted on August 15, 2017 at 23:24

Standard method of clearing such a bus, in the worst case you can drive the GPIO

Vu.Andy
Associate III
Posted on August 16, 2017 at 00:29

I am sorry but what do you mean by 'standard method of clearing'?

And are you suggesting that the I2C bus be reconfigured as a standard GPIO then clear the bus then back to I2C?

Posted on August 16, 2017 at 00:51

An I2C  bus, with a bunch of peripheral devices without any sort of asynchronous reset, you have to 'clock them out' of weird states. ie set SDA high, and bang SCL low and high, repeat for 9 or 10 cycles until SDA is released

If ST's super I2C implementation doesn't automate this, check manual, then drive the GPIO-OD pins directly... Problem remediated...