Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeMx Training?

hushel
Associate II

Posted on December 07, 2016 at 17:15

Hi ST,

You have this site: 

http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/about/events/events.html/stm32cube-basics-online-course-with-hands-on-exercises-a.html

However, I never received log-in details after registering for this. Are you still running this course? If so, how do I get my login? If not, where is the best place to learn CubeMX?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Laurent VERA
Associate III

Posted on December 08, 2016 at 11:45

Dear

Roberts.Hushel

We will make sure you receive the link to the MOOC, it typically takes a few days before we send you an acknowledge.

This MOOC is an excellent way to learn about

stm32

#

including

#!cubemx

The content is very similar to our Face to face

<LINK NO LONGER ACTIVE>

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
ST Renegade
Senior
Posted on December 07, 2016 at 21:00

Hi Robert,

If you have registered, it takes some time until you receive an invitation. Also I'm not sure the course is accessible all the time. ST can't simply answer everyone why he didn't received an email. Can you imagine when 100 people registers and everyone asks?

However this leads to another point. Why the hell are the courses 'private'? Today we have youtube... well, that's something we can't change. So be patient, please.

Meanwhile I can give you a simple advice, install CubeMX, select your device and create a simple blinking LED example. After that have a look on the clock configuration and try to configure your clocks.

Next activate some peripheral like USART/SPI or so and try to configure it according to your needs.

In the last step, before you generate your project, go into settings (if you don't, the tool will instruct you to do so anyway) and set your project path, IDE you want to use etc.

After you get familiar with the tool/wizard, look around, there are some nice features which are not visible on first sight.

Honestly the tool itself is quite simple and after an hour you should be able to use it.

The next level is trying to configure with the tool something like LTDC, FMC, USB etc. In such cases you already need to understand how those peripherals work, so you definitely need to understand those interfaces/protocols and I would advise to study the HAL library. In general the HAL library has a common interface across all peripherals, so once you learn one peripheral, the principle is the same for the rest.

I hope my answer encouraged you enough to start with CubeMX without starting the course.

Enoy development on/with ST and have a nice day,

Renegade

hushel
Associate II
Posted on December 07, 2016 at 22:52

Yes, I'm looking for deep knowledge. However, Youtube at least offers something which is better than the info I'm getting from this post.

Posted on December 07, 2016 at 22:37

For anyone with this same problem, it looks like Youtube has better info anyways and you don't have to wait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imXauCiwEfs

Thanks

Posted on December 07, 2016 at 22:46

If I remember well, the STM32CubeMX course is not actually a course where they describe CubeMX, but they describe CubeMX peripheral by perihperal. So it's a deep course focusing on how to configure GPIOs, UART, etc. etc. using CubeMX and the whole video takes definitely more than 45 mins. 😉 I think it's like 6 hours+ or so containing separate chapters on each topic. As I said, the tool itself is simple enough to have a video on how to use it.

No offense, but if someone needs a video on how to use CubeMX, I would highly discourage him from starting to develop anything on an ARM MCU in general, just my opinion.

Renegade

Posted on December 07, 2016 at 23:00

As said before, you need to be patient. Unfortunately I can't convince ST to put those videos on youtube, which would make sense instead of having them 'private'. :\

Meanwhile you can try the tool by yourself. You haven't posted what you are looking for? Which peripheral do you want to make running? 🙂

To be honest it makes no sense to spend your whole day watching a video on how to configure each peripheral on F4 or so...

So if you post what you are having troubles with, what device you are using etc. maybe I or the community can help you. 😉

Posted on December 07, 2016 at 23:16

I've used the tool before. Most of my questions are about clock and power management. Looking through Youtube, I'm seeing other videos that are addressing my concerns right now. However, watching that video showed cool things like variable renaming of pins that can be used in code. That isn't something that is obvious to me.

If you read through the comments on the videos, it looks like general knowledge on CubeMX is highly appreciated. So, I know I'm not alone in posting this question. Thanks!

Posted on December 07, 2016 at 23:30

Ok, what's the issue with clocks and power management? Hard to help you without a direct question. 🙂

Renegade

Posted on December 08, 2016 at 01:33

Renegade, I think you are missing the larger picture here. If I only had a very specific question about clocks, I would have asked that. The question at the beginning of this post says:

STM32CubeMX Training - 

where is the best place to learn CubeMX?

As you stated, your 'private' video apparently has 6+ hours worth of valuable information. All I asked was, how do I get it? I registered for this course a couple of weeks ago and haven't gotten a login. I just wanted to know what is going on. 

Instead, I'm being told that if I can't figure it out, then I shouldn't be programming ARM. Are you serious?

Posted on December 08, 2016 at 10:00

I hope ST will give you the access ASAP.

Good luck with the development with ST ecosystem.

Have a nice day,

Renegade