Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Glitches with SAI/SPDIF. Different behaviour on L/R channels

jmf1
Associate III
Posted on November 20, 2016 at 17:52

Dear all,

I have a issue with SPDIF_TX on a nucleo F746ZG. Working on this since some days and can't identify the problem. I have some hearable ''glitches'' in an otherway working operation. A frequency sweep signal allows to reproduce those glitches on a regular basis. I recorded the output of the DAC/Amp and you can see in the attachment the visualization of the glitches: 4 ms amplitude ''dents'' in the signal. The 3 files attached allow to precisely visualize the issue. Please have a look. What is odd is that there is still the expected signal oscillation, but the amplitude is reduced for about 4ms or what looks like of multiple of 4 ms.

The upper part of the dataflow that prepares the data for the SAI has been well tested on a stm32F4 Discovery with I2S and onboard DAC without showing such a behaviour.

I prepare a buffer that is read by DMA (circular mode) to feed the SAI configured for SPDIF protocol. As SPDIF data are fixed in Stm32 to 24 bits for SPDIF, I prepare a buffer of int32 that I fill with int16 shifted by 8 bits (<<8). I alternate Left and Right music samples.

I noticed that I don't have the same result in the 3 below cases:

- 0 for Left channel and music for Right: music and glitches in Right channel, silence on left channel

- music (same data) in Left and Right channels: glitches in Left and right channels,

- strange: - Music for Left channel and 0 for Right: music and NO glitches in Left channel, silence on right channel !!!!

So feeding the SAI with comparable data does not give the same result:  0=>L/Music=>R different from  0=>R/Music=>L

I have tried to play with:

- length of the buffer: no effect,

- amplitude of the signal: no effect,

- frequency: the pure frequency signals that I tried doesn't seems to exhibit the glitches...

- and the signal that continues to oscillate during the glitch, with a suddenly wrong amplitude.

Problem of DMA configuration?

Problem of SAI configuration?

Note: I have to set the 

hsai_BlockB1.

Init

AudioFrequency

= SAI_AUDIO_FREQUENCY_96K to efectively have 48k recognized by my DAC. With this setting, I can play music at the right pace. 

DMA is set to work with WORDS (I believe) as: 

hdma_sai1_a.Instance = DMA2_Stream1;

hdma_sai1_a.Init.Channel = DMA_CHANNEL_0;

hdma_sai1_a.Init.Direction = DMA_MEMORY_TO_PERIPH;

hdma_sai1_a.Init.PeriphInc = DMA_PINC_DISABLE; hdma_sai1_a.Init.MemInc = DMA_MINC_ENABLE;

hdma_sai1_a.Init.PeriphDataAlignment = DMA_PDATAALIGN_WORD;

hdma_sai1_a.Init.MemDataAlignment = DMA_MDATAALIGN_WORD;

hdma_sai1_a.Init.Mode = DMA_CIRCULAR;

hdma_sai1_a.Init.Priority = DMA_PRIORITY_HIGH;

hdma_sai1_a.Init.FIFOMode = DMA_FIFOMODE_ENABLE;

hdma_sai1_a.Init.FIFOThreshold = DMA_FIFO_THRESHOLD_FULL;

hdma_sai1_a.Init.MemBurst = DMA_MBURST_SINGLE;

hdma_sai1_a.Init.PeriphBurst = DMA_PBURST_SINGLE;

SAI is configured as:

hsai_BlockB1.

Instance

= SAI1_Block_B;

hsai_BlockB1.

Init

Protocol

= SAI_SPDIF_PROTOCOL;

hsai_BlockB1.

Init

AudioMode

= SAI_MODEMASTER_TX;

hsai_BlockB1.

Init

Synchro

= SAI_ASYNCHRONOUS;

hsai_BlockB1.

Init

OutputDrive

= SAI_OUTPUTDRIVE_DISABLE;

hsai_BlockB1.

Init

FIFOThreshold

= SAI_FIFOTHRESHOLD_EMPTY;

hsai_BlockB1.

Init

AudioFrequency

= SAI_AUDIO_FREQUENCY_96K;

hsai_BlockB1.

Init

SynchroExt

= SAI_SYNCEXT_DISABLE;

hsai_BlockB1.

Init

MonoStereoMode

= SAI_STEREOMODE;

hsai_BlockB1.

Init

CompandingMode

= SAI_NOCOMPANDING;

Start of the SAI is done with:

HAL_SAI_Transmit_DMA(&hsai_BlockA1, (

uint8_t

*)Audio_output_bufferA, AUDIO_OUTPUT_BUF_SIZE*2);

Full code is here: 

https://github.com/jmf13/F7USBAudio/tree/DebugGlitch

#spdif #sai
3 REPLIES 3
jmf1
Associate III
Posted on November 21, 2016 at 21:18

You can also see in the big zoom that the signal is perfectly continuous. In case of buffer underrun/overrun, you expect some discontinuity in the signal...

Looking at the specs of the SPDIF interface, I wonder if it could be related to some protection scheme of the consumer type SPDIF interface.

I currently don' t manage the Channel Status bits. Could it trigger some faults in my SPDIF receiver like the ones in the above attachments?

JMF

jmf1
Associate III
Posted on November 22, 2016 at 19:55

Solved !!!!

You can have a look at

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/stm32-sai-spdif_tx-issue/

or

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/293603-can-low-jitter-achieved-stm32-microcontroller-25.html#post4894411

I was writing by error randomly in the SPDIF Channel Status bits and tickling the ''pre-emphasis'' bit, having the de-emphasis filter switching on and off.

I now have a USB Asynch => DSP => 4 digital channels is perfectly reproducing the music on a 20$ stm32 Nucleo board.

JMF

Posted on November 22, 2016 at 21:01

Thanks for coming back with the solution.

JW