cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSID for WiFi when using web interface to configure module

pontus2
Associate II
Posted on July 25, 2016 at 09:33

We are attempting to use (and modify) the web interface of the module to configure it to connect to a certain SSID. The WiFi we are currently working towards have an SSID with a blank space in it. When using the web interface this results in the module trying to connect to a WiFi with the format Wifi%20Name rather than its real name, Wifi Name. The blank space does not seem to transcend into the module, it parses it as its actualy characters. Anyone have a solution for this? 

Regards,

Pontus
6 REPLIES 6
Posted on July 27, 2016 at 11:22

Hi Pontus,

browsers automatically translate special characters to %something. Example above: ''...WiFi%20Modules/NewForm.aspx?RootFolder=%2fpublic...''

You can enable decoding feature on module by ip_use_decoder configuration variable. Update to FW3.5.

Regards

jerry

pontus2
Associate II
Posted on July 28, 2016 at 12:52

Ok Jerry, thank you, I will attempt that. 

However, when using captive portal and fill out the form I always get +WIND:57:Forbidden. How do I solve this?

regards

pontus2
Associate II
Posted on July 28, 2016 at 13:29

Got past that issue. But what decoding should be used when configuring from the captive portal? It actually makes it ''Wifi+Name'' rather than ''Wifi%20Name''. I have though modified the URL that is being created (captiveportal.net/firstset.cgi?SSID=Wifi%20Name .. etc) to try both + and %20. Neither of the tested decoding settings does anything to decode either of those. I have tried 1,2 and 6.

Posted on July 28, 2016 at 19:15

Hi,

it's not clear what's the issue. When firstset form is filled, module's cgi will automatically decode %something characters. Do you want to bypass default firstset.html, and implement your own firstset-like page?

FYI: decoding function is used both from firstset cgi and output.cgi. You can use output_demo.html page to test incoming encoded strings, and decoding functionality based on different configuration variable values.

- 1 means ''68656c6c6f20776f726c64'' becomes ''hello world''

- 2 means ''hello%20world'' becomes ''hello world''

- 6 (2+4) decodes html entities (''&#number;'' becomes a character)

Regards

j

pontus2
Associate II
Posted on July 29, 2016 at 08:35

Hello.

I am currently only using your pre-existing functionality. So by setting module to miniAP, connecting to its WiFi and going to captiveportal.net I come to the SPWFS01 First Config. So without modifying these files in the module I would want to use them, leaving potential modification until later. However, these are my issues:

* Firstly, if I just fill out the form and click GO it does not work due to Authentication failed. I need to remove certain keys from the request to get rid of this.

* If I fill out an SSID with a space in it, lets say WiFi SSID, it will be decoded into WiFi+SSID. This will not be decoded by module.

* If I manually alter the URL (parameters after firstset.cgi?) to make it WiFi%20SSID and use ip_use_decoder =  2 this is still parsed by the module as WiFi%20SSID:

+WIND:57:Received SSID is WiFi%20SSID

and the module is therefor not able to connect to the AP. 

So my obvious issue is that the module does not seem to attempt any decoding, no matter its configuration. If it is not possible we will have to sort this out differently.

Regards

Posted on July 29, 2016 at 18:24

- Authentication failed means that inserted password is wrong (different from user_desc config var). There is no need to ''remove certain keys''. Simply, use the right password;

- If ''WiFi SSID'' becomes ''WiFi+SSID'', probably you/browser is not sending a ''%20'', and, so, cannot decode a ''space''. This is why in step 3 you alter the URL to force a %20. In step2 you/browser is not sending ''%20'', but ''+'';

- I expect ''%20'' is decoded as ''space''. This is what I see, also using output_demo. Please copy here configuration and status dump (AT&V and AT+S.STS).

Regards

jerry