cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up server on openssl for AN4683 (SPWF01Sx)

jhousley
Associate II
Posted on July 20, 2016 at 21:24

Hello,

I am running Windows 10 and I am trying to figure out how to test the one-way authentication in the application note AN4683. I have apache and openssl downloaded but I need help creating the certificate/key and how to start a server and then connect the wifi module to that server? I have generated keys and certificates using page 28/29 but I don't know what arguments to put in them (so i just kept what was given) when generating the keys/certificates. Three main questions are:

1. Which keys and certificates do I generate to test one-way authentication with my computer as the server and module as the client, and how do I generate them (aka what args/values do I use when doing the openssl commands)

2. How do I start the server with the certificates I just generated? (I tried the command on page 20 of AN4683 but it didn't work)

3. How do I connect the SPWF01Sx to this server on my computer?

Please let me know any information or help that you have. Thank you,

-Jake

#spwf01sc.11 #spwf01sa.11 #an4683
3 REPLIES 3
arnaud239955
Associate II
Posted on July 21, 2016 at 13:39

Hello Jake

I suggest that you setup your Apache SSL server and make it working with your web browser. Once it works, then you can work on the wifi device side. There are plenty of tutorials for SSL on Apache on Internet. Addressing all problems at the same time is too complex.

To connect the Wifi module, I use the FoCa 2.2 adapter (it works on Windows and Linux). You connect it on the serial port of the wifi module. https://www.itead.cc/foca.html. I am very pleased with this adapter.

HTH

Zirco

jhousley
Associate II
Posted on July 21, 2016 at 16:20

Hi Zirco,

I have the apache server working with my web browser. I got the ''It Works!'' displayed when I started the apache server. This doesn't help me at all because I did not use oopenssl to generate certificates. This was just done with the localhost URL not an SSL connection, thus no certificates or handshaking was required?

Secondly, I have the wifi module running and can do all the Labs in the hands on training, that is not the issue. The issue is connecting to an SSL/TLS website. Thanks,

-Jake

jhousley
Associate II
Posted on July 21, 2016 at 22:13

I figured out a way around this. If you download the certificate (using your browser) from a secure website  you want to access, you then convert that certificate to PEM format (I used openssl) and then load that PEM certificate onto the wifi module. You should be able to make a secure connection with the site now/I was able to.