Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST7590 Usage and Documentation

rjedwards1
Associate
Posted on June 29, 2016 at 12:27

Hello All.

I've been looking at using the ST7590 OFDM Power Line communications module in a project. However I've found the information published on STs website to be very lacking in technical details. From what information is available I'm sure that it can do what I need and do it well but I have no idea how to make it do it.

I've raised a support ticket with ST asking for interface specifications, such as UART baud rates, timings, and pin functions, as well as what setup / initialisation procedures or required; and to be polite drawn a blank. The best that they could furnish me with was a C Header file overview from one of their dev boards, which was totally useless. As knowing what something does is totally different to my need of how it does it.

Has anybody got any experience of using this device? and / or can anybody point me in the direction of the information I need to actually utilise the chip.

Many thanks

Russell
9 REPLIES 9
mseijo
Associate II
Posted on July 21, 2016 at 17:30

Hi Russell,

I'm in a similar situation than yours, I found this http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/user_manual/3d/0a/98/6d/6b/07/48/7e/CD00270495.pdf/files/CD00270495.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.CD00270495.pdf

I didn't manage to make it work, but I think that is what you are searching for.

Pu Honghong
Associate
Posted on August 08, 2017 at 13:55

Hello 

Russell,

I am in a similar 

situation with you. Aand even worse, I cannot find the C library which includes all commends for ST7590. Could you tell me where I can go to find it ? Thanks!

Gareth Thomson
Associate II
Posted on April 03, 2018 at 09:12

How has there been no response to this forum in two years? Is this chip really not popular? Or this 'community' that ST is trying to push as a good investment not working as well as they hope? 

I would also like a little more personal information about this chip before I recommend this to my boss as an option for reliable PLC and that it is a relatively easy chip to use in our design.

This looks like an awesome chip to use, but if it is going to take months to get is working as a result of the lake of support then it will a waste of time.

Thank you for reading.

On a side note, I would also like a brief description of how the chip selects the band it transmits when using OFDM and how is the delta f selected?

There are 100's of reasons why the chip might not be able to get a signal down the line I was realy expecting more information on this Chip and I am disappointed to see the lack of support. Please rectify this. The St7590 might see use if this changes.

Posted on April 03, 2018 at 12:15

Dear Gareth Thomson,

to get support for ST7590, you'll need to get in touch with your local ST representative or distributor.

Please take into account that you'll probably 

need to sign an NDA agreement to get the software libraries for this chip.

That's why this community is not the best way to get information about ST7590.

The support policy for this product is very different from the one for STM32 microcontrollers or consumer RF technologies. Indeed, 

the markets for these products are very different: MCUs and consumer RF technologies are used in many different contexts by many different kind of customers and the community can be an effective way to get help both from peers and ST engineers; ST7590 is more oriented to a specific category of users, who will benefit from getting dedicated support.

Best regards,

Antonio

Posted on April 05, 2018 at 10:48

Good day, Antonio,

Thank you very much for your quick and helpful response. We have spoken to a supplier and I will follow up with him on what they can help with. 

I am excited about what this Chip can do, but I was taken back by the lack of Q/A I saw on it. With the DNA and all the rest makes more sense now.

Than you.

Kind regards GT

Posted on April 17, 2018 at 15:25

Good day, Antonio,

Sorry to bother you again but you might have what I need as you know more about ST and their procedures than my supplier. Do you have/ know where I can find the User Manual for the ST7590 SOC? I have the ST7570 

User Manual SOC which details the S-FSK modulation system but I have chosen the ST7590 for its OFDM functionality.

Thank you.

Kind regards GT

Posted on April 20, 2018 at 15:44

Hi Gareth,

user manuals, binaries, GUI applications and source code are available upon signature of a license agreement. If your distributor is not able to fulfill your request, then you should contact ST sales representative for your area (South Africa). In this way you'll be able to get in touch with a Field Application Engineer and have technical support.

Best regards,

Antonio

Gareth Thomson
Associate II
Posted on June 21, 2018 at 08:18

Good day Russell

I would like to find out if you got anywhere with the ST7590? And did the support ticket yield any positive results?

Kind regards,

GT

Posted on June 21, 2018 at 12:24

Hi Gareth

No I didn't. In the end I moved over / down to the ST7580 which had more complete documentation in the public domain.

My work in the area concluded that PRIME have hidden lots of the interface and usage documentation behind a paywall (see mention of a license agreement by Antonio) as no other manufacturers seemed to be offering the information either. As was Atmel did Prime and G3 chipsets one of which was better documented and looked as though it could be made to work but the gains didn't justify the risk for my task.

Hope this helps

Russell