Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F429 External power supply issue

max239955
Associate II
Posted on July 04, 2016 at 16:43

Hi all,

I'm working with an STM32F429 disco board and I can't seem to get it to work with an external power supply (USB cable not plugged in). When connected via USB, everything is functioning as required. I have one of the UART ports setup for PC logging.

When I disconnect the USB cable and power through one of the 5V pins, the LED labelled COM flashes, and the program does not run. Interestingly, a few characters do get sent through UART before it cuts out. It is definitely being supplied with 5V, and the same thing happens when connecting via a USB cable to a basic USB charger (this one is perhaps more understandable since there it probably expects some form of USB communication as opposed to just power).

I have an F407 disco board at home on a quadcopter that is powered from an ESC into a 5V pin - this functions correctly.

Anyone have any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8
Posted on July 04, 2016 at 18:00

Scope the 3V rail.

Check also the firmware version in the ST-LINK, there are some which hold the processor in reset off a USB charger/battery pack. The ST-LINK Utilities have a firmware update built in.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
max239955
Associate II
Posted on July 04, 2016 at 18:19

3V rail is at 2.95V. 

Firmware version is V2J25M14

Posted on July 04, 2016 at 22:05

http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/embedded-software/development-tool-software/stsw-link007.html

is more current, start with that. There is at least one revision shipped in DISC1 and NUCLEO boards in recent months that holds the device in reset, you can check if NRST is clamped low.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
max239955
Associate II
Posted on July 05, 2016 at 17:16

Got this working the minute i posed the previous reply but ST forums didn't want to let me post another reply yesterday!

I used the updater that came bundled with the ST-Link drivers - updated the firmware and everything is working now.

Thanks Clive 🙂

Posted on May 23, 2017 at 17:39

Hi, I'm having the same problem and I don't know how to solve it, you say here, that you upgraded the firmware and everything is working good now, how did you upgrade it???. I'm using Coocox by the way. For my project I'm using USART and with an external power supply doesn't work and with the USB port works fine.  

Imen.D
ST Employee
Posted on May 23, 2017 at 23:13

Hi

landresce

Tryto upgrade the ST-Link firmware version

STM32 ST-Link Utility > ST-Link > Firmware update.

https://community.st.com/videos/1141-st-link-update

Hope this help you.

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
Posted on May 24, 2017 at 04:40

Hi Imen, thank you so much ! Now my project works perfectly! You safe my life ! Really ! Not joking ! Thanks! 

Posted on April 10, 2018 at 19:15

hi , can i ask you for the version 

ST-Link firmware version