cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BlueNRG PC Connectivity

irving
Associate
Posted on July 17, 2016 at 20:09

I am trying to connect a BlueNRG device to a PC running windows 10.  The PC discovers the BlueNRG but when I try to pair the device the PC says that Something went wrong.  The software in the BlueNRG is a modfied version of the software provided by ST as a demo for connectivity and works well with Android.  Can someone provide some information on what to look for.  A search via the WEB did not help me find any answers.

#bluenrg-pc-connectivity
2 REPLIES 2
Scott Löhr
Senior II
Posted on July 18, 2016 at 15:06

It's been almost 2 years, maybe more, since I connected a custom BLE Peripheral to the Windows BLE stack; but back then Windows was only able to make secure pairing connections. I vaguely remember that even if I configured the BLE Peripheral SM IO capabilities as ''no input, no output'', Windows still insisted on a secure pairing. So again, vaguely remembering, I think that you need to make a response to the Windows GAP pairing request with a GAP terminate authentication with a reason of pairing failed/not supported.

EVard.10
Associate II

same here. i have a X-NUCLEO-IDB05A1 mounted on a nucleo 64, and the base Sensor demo FW running on the nucleo board (stm32F0, made some adaptation to the code).

nRF Connect works very well with it with no problem.

Windows 10 however is a different story. I have a CSR4.0 dongle connected to my pc, with the CSR harmony SW stack installed. I can catch the advertisement (i.e. the showing of the device as bluetooth, NOT the BLE advertisement), but when i click "Next" to add the device, i immediately get an error message saying "connection failed because an incorrect code was entered"... very good MS, telling my that the code THAT I NEVER PROVIDED is bad...

Also,  NOT ONE (!) of the many choices of BLE scanners/readers for windows (including the C# BLE client samples), will not catch the BLE advertisement of my setup (again, nRF Connect works well with it).

Also, strangely enough, when i scan (with any ble scan app), i get two dummy BLE devices which i am 100% sure does not exist physically. i could not trace the reason why i see those records.

One of the records name is "BlueNRG". it is NOT my device because i changed its advertise name to "BlueNRG_TEST"

I must say, i am extremely disappointed from the BlueNRG product line. especially from the SW stack which was at least at the beggining very lean and non inclusive.

The support was also lacking to say the least.

I think that the BlueNRG is already a discontinued product by now.

shame they went so far with it, just to dismiss it for something new and shining