cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Release notes not published for STM32CubeL4 HAL

markf_engineer
Associate II
Posted on August 30, 2017 at 15:36

Where are the release notes for the STM32CubeL4 HAL?  There are several releases, and I can't find documentation on any releases.  I'm interested in the release notes from version 1.7.0 to 1.8.0 and patch 1.8.1.

If release notes aren't currently published, then I'd ask ST to start publishing release notes.

4 REPLIES 4
markf_engineer
Associate II
Posted on August 30, 2017 at 15:52

I found the release notes file inside the release zip file.

I would like to view the release notes on the ST website prior to downloading and unzipping a release file.  Posting the release notes on the website means we can view the changes to the release without having to download and unzip the release. This is a typical workflow when deciding if you want or need a newer release!

ST, please post release notes on the website.

Imen.D
ST Employee
Posted on August 30, 2017 at 16:03

Hello

Fitzgerald.Mark

We don't have the release note document published on the St website, but you can findthe 'Release_Notes.html' under the firmware package zip file.

Best Regards

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
Posted on August 30, 2017 at 17:17

Thanks, but I'm asking ST to publish the release notes on the website.

Before downloading a release most people want to know what is in the release.

This isn't a special request, most manufacturers do this already, just not ST micro.

Posted on August 30, 2017 at 17:30

Especially when they unpack to >1GB

ST really needs to review how these are archived and provided, CubeMX is completely opaque in terms of grabbing these files, people frequently want to push an archive of the specific release into version control, so they can come back in 5 or 10 years and still be able to reconstruct exactly what the original developer was using.

I should be able to go to a web page, see all released versions, see inter-dependencies in libraries vs CubeMX releases, release notes addressing issues identified/fixed, etc. I should be able to see if something solves more problems than it creates, or specifically solves for a part or issue I'm having. In the real world people have to validate code used in their products and do regression testing.

There needs to be some thinking about the long-term usability, and for people from the future trying to understand the time line and recreate a contemporary build environment. With a '10-year commitment' you're likely to encounter people managing/care-taking code from people who have moved to other jobs/divisions, retired, etc.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..