cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CubeMX 4.18 pegs CPU in Clock Tab on macOS

Elwood Downey
Associate II
Posted on December 07, 2016 at 16:41

I notice that whenever I am in the Clock Configuration tab of CubeMX 4.18 the CPU activity goes to 100%. This is on macOS 10.12.1 and Java 1.8.0_111. Changing to any other tab reduces CPU to just a few percent. Not a crushing issue but probably not the intended behavior so thought I would mention it.

If it helps, I've attached the project ioc file.

#cubemx #mac-os
8 REPLIES 8
Nesrine M_O
Lead II
Posted on December 07, 2016 at 16:46

Hi

Downey.Elwood

‌,

Thank you for your feedback. The issue has been reported internally.

-Nesrine-

Ifmy suggestanswers your question, please mark it as correct.

Posted on December 08, 2016 at 00:03

I'll confirm this.

Also, Cube on macOS uses a huge amount of RAM. I just fired it up to test this issue, went onto the clock config screen, and Cube has 1.6GB of RAM locked down.

That's pretty piggy.

Andrei from The Great White North

(

http://embedded.fm/blog/embedded-wednesdays

)
Sirma Siang
ST Employee
Posted on January 20, 2017 at 15:13

Hello Elwood and Andrei,

Thanks for your respective feedback.

I have tried to reproduce your symptoms without success yet.

I have tried on a macbook pro, Java 8 update 112 build 13, CubeMX4.18.

CPU usage stay, for 1 cpu over 8, around 30%. This does not change, on my machine, whatever the Cube tab I am using.

For sure using 100% cpu is not what we expect.

I will monitor this point if in the futur I will be able to reproduce it.

BTW could you take your activity monitor screen schoot ?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Sirma

Posted on January 20, 2017 at 17:38

Here is a normal example. Two images, Cube and Activity Monitor on my MacBook Pro. MacOS 2. Java 8 update Cube 4.0. Dual core i5 with hyperthreading, 8GB RAM.

Both shots had the system 'settle' for a few seconds so that we're not just showing the screen change activity burst.

I've noticed this for many months now. It is not specific to this particular project either. Actually I have checked this by creating a new project. It will immediately consume close to, or more than, one processor core just by going onto the Clock Configuration tab. (I just tested it again with a another new project, same result)

Yes, this happens on my Other MBP (4 core i7 with hyperthreading) as well as my iMac (4 core i7 w/o hyperthreading), both having 16GB of RAM. Various versions of MacOS

Attachments :

Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 09.21.17.png : https://st--c.eu10.content.force.com/sfc/dist/version/download/?oid=00Db0000000YtG6&ids=0680X000006Hyyz&d=%2Fa%2F0X0000000bEr%2F.DKjZKk69DjdWcR3X_lCgYoFVWF.GXCBXEnNMkMUgaQ&asPdf=false

Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 09.21.53.png : https://st--c.eu10.content.force.com/sfc/dist/version/download/?oid=00Db0000000YtG6&ids=0680X000006Hyyu&d=%2Fa%2F0X0000000bEq%2Feu_ZTmsrcJd3Q5mKA6DpaLKMEA922z2CUe0LXUcQ9OU&asPdf=false
Posted on January 20, 2017 at 19:17

New data. I took my 'Other MBP' that was running Java 8 update 111 and Cube 4.18.0 that shows the issue and updated Java to 8 update 121 build 13. 

The clock configuration screen is currently consuming > 100% of a cpu  (for the windows fanbois, MacOS and Linux report cpu usage in % per hyperthreaded core rather than % of the aggregate cpu time. So if you have a 4 core processor with hyperthreading you would see a total reported usage of up to 800%. It isn't worse or better than the way microsoft does it, just different. If you believe that windows is the only true way, then look up Microsoft Xenix. Anyway, enough rant.)

Updating to the latest version of Java does not change the processor consumption issue of the Clock Configuration tab.

Andrei.

Sirma Siang
ST Employee
Posted on January 23, 2017 at 12:39

Hello Andrei,

Great thanks for your detailed explanation, and your screenshots.

by looking more in detail the activity monitor, the cpu% tab, I can see that when I select the clock tab under Cube, it goes up to 97%.

I am reporting this internally to the relevant peoples, and I will monitor it.

Great thanks again to have raise this to our attention.

Kind regards

Sirma

Posted on January 26, 2017 at 17:23

Hello Elwood and Andrei,

The problem you have reported has been analized.

I can confirm you that it will be corrected on the next Cube release.

Thanks again for your helpfull inputs.

Kind regards

Sirma

Posted on January 26, 2017 at 21:46

You might want to get the relevant people to check all of the various screens and popups. I seem to remember some useless little popup message box doing the same thing. It's like they were in a tight loop waiting for input from the popup. I tried to recreate the problem this morning, but couldn't find it. Sorry.