cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large display project

ray23
Associate II
Posted on September 10, 2016 at 18:51

I am new to the STM32 platform.  I have an embedded project I have been attempting to build for quite some time that needs a large display space.  The processing of the project is not high, there is just lots of information to show the user.  I looked at the documentation for the STM32F7 Discovery and saw that the LCD pinout is a standard 40 pin RGB interface.  The STM32F7 Discovery comes with a very small display, will this board drive a larger display with larger resolution?  I have spent more time then I want to admit looking at the documentation and can't see where this issue is addressed.  Has anyone done this before?

The board comes with a capacitive touch panel, can I use the board with a resistive touch panel?  There are not many large format capacitive touch screens available.
4 REPLIES 4
Posted on September 11, 2016 at 09:40

From STM32F746 datasheet, page 1:

LCD-TFT controller up to XGA resolution

The gotcha lies in the limited memory/bus bandwidth.

And there is no limitation for choice of touchscreen, except that there might be no ready-made connector/interface and driver for it.

But if you need to ask, it appears that getting these to work might mean a long way for you. Maybe you want to resort to a more powerful hardware with ready made drivers such as the various linux-enabled single-board-computers, to handle the display/touchscreen, and perhaps attach a smaller mcu if there is any real-time-sensitive task.

JW
Posted on September 11, 2016 at 23:24

I'm not sure the STM32 care about the physical dimensions of the screen being attached. What is limited is the pixel clock, and the overall bandwidth required to drive the display, of some unspecified resolution. It is not going to be able to drive a 3960x2160 type display.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
troy1818
Senior
Posted on September 13, 2016 at 17:33

I am running my hw with 800x600 @60Hz using the L8 (LUT) format. This seems to work pretty good. Much higher than this could be difficult I imagine, at least at 60Hz.

ray23
Associate II
Posted on September 13, 2016 at 23:32

You are correct, I think I am better off  using a linux based solution because the display hardware is beyond me if I can't find a display module that can connect to the RGB port of the stm32F7 board.  I have spent enough time looking for a board that will work and thought I would ask here before I moved to a more approachable solution.  

All I really need is a 1024x600 display with a touch driver.  Most displays that will easily attach to the board are much smaller then that.  Thanks for your advise.