Associate
Posted on July 05, 2009 at 13:34

STM32 road map

13 REPLIES 13
svetek
Associate
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:56

Hello,

I am looking for STM32 road map. Is it available somewhere?

I am interested when/if we can expect STM32 with Ethernet/MAC, High-speed USB, LCD peripheral...

I also heard some rumors about STM32L, where L stand for low power. When/if ?

Regards,

~ Aleš

obtronix
Associate II

there is nothing publicly available you probably have to sign a non disclosure form to get any info

relaxe
Associate II

We would all like to know what part is curently in devellopment, or about to be released.

Most manufacturer have some kind of roadmap made public. Of course, no big trade secret, just a 3 to 6 month warning about future products:

Exemple:

-Atmel SAM product table gives ''in devellopment'', ''Sampling'' then ''Production'' phases.

-TI with does something similar, and shows what the near-future product will look like.

-Microchip even list many many ''future product'' in is line-up.

Of course, when choosing an MCU at a product's early conception stage, we all want the best out there for various specs. I tend to just ask whatever company have the perfect but unreleased product when they think it will be availlable. Often, you can start the project with early datasheets and get samples for your prototyping phase, then see full production as soon as the manufacturer release the product.

ST seems to be out of this trend, making me think that either:

-They do no have any future product in devellopment

-They have a very limited production capacity, and don't want to starve the stock on launch dates, by preventing those pesky early adopters from getting their hand on them

-They have a very paranoïd or disfunctionnal marketing department.

Seriously, I have take the plunge with the STM32, and would like to see the future products before choosing another chip for any project, just to see 1 week after making an official choice that ST released the perfect candidate without correct prior announcement.

Guess what? I'm taking bet that our usual ST representative (ST-One) will not answer this thread, simply because his upper management tells him he can't.

That suck.

ST, prove me wrong.

-Relaxe

simonellwood9
Associate II

I read this thread when it was written and was interested in any updates on new products from ST. I see nothing happened.

I have seen early information about the STM32L and would like to use chips such as I saw in a new design shortly.

I guess they are a long way off however.

pandoraems
Associate II

I am with you guys on this issue, st seems to be awfully tight-lipped.

I can understand the motivation behind this though, at least for stm32. It is a waiting game - one of strategies that tech companies use: wait for competitor to come out with a product while silently developing own next gen product without spilling anything whatsoever making everyone think they are resting on their laurels. Once competitor's product is out, assess the situation and make quick adjustments before ''answering'' with a stronger competing product.

Looking at how NXP had just released their lpc1700 series with many features absent on current stm32, i'd suspect that ST is busy preparing to answer with their improved stm32.

Maybe they'll wait on Atmel and Cypress (others?) to come out with their cortexm3 offers first.

i personally would like to know if ST plans on having stm32 with higher temperature range than the current -40+85

obtronix
Associate II

NDA solves both ST's concerns and yours.

16-32micros
Associate III

Dear Relaxe, Pandoraems,

Do not let me wrong please :( ... if you sign an NDA with your local ST representative, you will get our roadmap.

Anyway, Here is my interpretation of your comment :

The examples mentioned below from the micros in the market are built on a ''propriety core'' from each producer and not ''Generic Open Core'' based on ARM roadmap cores. Therefore, to make them popular they can disclose the roadmaps in public because no others competitors will make a micro based a competition core & Most important on the same technology silicon.

However, talking about ''Open cores'' from ARM & especially New Ones like Cortex-M3 {Deeply created for micros}: This is another strategy and each producer is keeping his secret until the Market will be enough mature to be able to follow the trends...

STMicroelectronics strategy is simply to

Lead the 16 & 32-bit micros market, So we keep all our new designs in secret while we are working with all our Partners, Tools Makers & Most of our real Customers from different backgrounds to develop the market ecosystem to offer and access you the suitable micro-controller that fits your application's needs with the reasonable budget you have,

That's it.

Stay posted with us in these Forums, Many New and fantastic STM32 products/features will come in 2009 to continue releasing your Creativity.

Cheers,

STOne-

[ This message was edited by: STOne-32 on 09-01-2009 23:05 ]

st3
Associate II

Quote:

-Microchip even list many many ''future product'' in is line-up.

But do they all actually materialise as real products?

And at the stated time?

The fact is, you can't build products with vapour-ware.

So-called ''roadmaps'' are not firm commitments, and are never guaranteed - so I don't see what all the fuss is about!

16-32micros
Associate III

Hi pandoraems,

Quote:

i personally would like to know if ST plans on having stm32 with higher temperature range than the current -40+85

Look at our datasheets Performance line :

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/ds/13587.pdf

- Page 78 / 84

We already provide devices for Industrial temperature range, –40 to 105 °C.

The salestype ending by ''T7'' rather than ''T6'' . So your wish is exhausted, thought 🙂 !

Cheers,

STOne-32.