Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[LSM6DS3] Very High Noise Issue

yangmax
Associate
Posted on August 26, 2016 at 23:37

Hello, 

I am currently trying to do some initial noise analysis of LSM6DS3 using STEVAL-MKI160V1 adapter board and STEVAL-MKI109V2 mother board. The software that I am using for obtaining data is Unico GUI. The problem is that gyroscopes and accelerometers noise levels are higher than I expected by more than 2 orders of magnitude. Here is how I did:

I first changed a couple of registers for low noise operation; CTRL1_XL was set to 10(hex), CTRL2_G was set to 10 (hex) for the lowest bandwidth of the low pass filters.High-performance bit was set to 0 for the high performance operation for both gyro and acc. This gives me very high noise outputs (see fig.1 & fig.2Y-axis unit is deg/h and mgfor gyros and accs, respectively). To plot these graphs, I saved LSB data into a file using Unico GUI save function and multiplied those LSB numbers by 8.75*1000/3600 for the gyros (full-scale range was 245dps), and by 0.061/1000 for the accs (full scale range was2g).

I thought these results were very suspicious, so I checked on the register values directly from the registers OUT_H_XL and OUT_H_G, and they did not seem to be changing this much, but only by around 10-20 LSBs. So I looked into FIFO data in Unico GUI and saved those LSB values from FIFO, and the results are shown in fig 3 (only gyros are plotted for this one). They are much less noisy, and the noise level seems to be within the region, although the Z-axis shows a bit strange behavior. 

Here is my question. Am I doing something wrong that I see very noisy outputs when I read data from those sensors using Unico GUI? Why are they so noisy, and why do they give me much less noisier results when I read them from FIFO? I am new to STmicro inertial sensors, and I hope anyone could help me with this. Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Max
1 REPLY 1
Petr S
ST Employee
Posted on September 01, 2016 at 12:09

Hello Max,

For further analysis could you please send me all the information you see in the very bottom line of Unicleo GUI (should contain Firmware and Unico versions and so on)?

Thank you and best regards,

Petr