cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does STM32L072 support USB programming/debugging?

sarang2
Associate
Posted on October 04, 2017 at 07:37

Hello All,

Is it possible that STM32L072 can be programmed/debugged through USB?  It would be nice if somebody could share reference to the possible ways the micro-controller can be programmed/debugged.

Best Regards,

Sarang

#stm32l072
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Posted on October 04, 2017 at 17:19

Debugging is effected by an external pod, not sure where the confusion is here. The NUCLEO/DISCO implementations include a secondary chip to provide the ST-LINK SWD connections.

One can program the device cheaply/effectively via a USART connection. You can also use serial as a highly effective means of providing debug and telemetry data.

Any debug via USB would need to be implemented by you, ie create a USB CDC or HID to exfiltrate the log data.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Tilen MAJERLE
ST Employee
Posted on October 04, 2017 at 07:41

Hello

Suryawanshi.Sarang

‌,

You can program STM32L072 using USB DFU mode with embedded bootloader, however directly debug option is not supported. In this case you need external programmer/debugger.

You can find more about DFU programming via USB here:

http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/application_note/6a/17/92/02/58/98/45/0c/CD00264pdf/files/CD00264pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.CD00264pdf

Best regards,

Tilen

sarang2
Associate
Posted on October 04, 2017 at 14:39

Hello Tilen,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I understand that USB debugging(step debug) is not supported by STM32L072.

However I would like to confirm if I could get debug log through USB.

Best Regards,

Sarang

Posted on October 04, 2017 at 17:19

Debugging is effected by an external pod, not sure where the confusion is here. The NUCLEO/DISCO implementations include a secondary chip to provide the ST-LINK SWD connections.

One can program the device cheaply/effectively via a USART connection. You can also use serial as a highly effective means of providing debug and telemetry data.

Any debug via USB would need to be implemented by you, ie create a USB CDC or HID to exfiltrate the log data.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..