Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using stm32 as a Smart card mcu

mh2
Associate III
Posted on March 22, 2017 at 17:03

Hi everybody

I want to make a smartcard with sm32. I know stm32 has smartcard interface using Uart peripheral. however all the documents I have seen, used stm32 as smartcard reader. is it possible to use stm32 as a smartcard mcu? and can you guide me how can I do this? 

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Imen.D
ST Employee
Posted on March 22, 2017 at 17:27

Hello,

Have a look to the 

SMARTCARD 

example provided within the firmware package describes a firmware Smartcard Interface based on the USART peripheral, this can help you to develop an application using the USART peripheral in smartcard mode.

The working example for

STM3210E_EVAL project: 

STM32Cube_FW_F1_V1.4.0\Projects\STM3210E_EVAL\Examples\SMARTCARD\SMARTCARD_T0

This example is based on the

http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/embedded-software/mcus-embedded-software/stm32-embedded-software/stm32-standard-peripheral-libraries-expansions/stsw-stm32011.html

'Smartcard interface with the STM32F101xx and STM32F103xx' application note. 

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
mh2
Associate III
Posted on March 22, 2017 at 18:27

Thank you Imen for your helpful response.

It also uses stm32 as an smart card reader. As I stated before, I want to use stm32 as a smart card not a smart card reader. I will use stm32 inside an smart card and I want to interface with a reader like acr38u. I want to know is it possible for stm32 to interface with a reader in the smartcard mode of the UART?

thanks

Posted on March 22, 2017 at 20:20

I expect it could.

I seem to recall a version of the STM32L162 was available in a card form-factor once upon a time, but there are likely export controls on those types of devices.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..