cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32 Cube HAL - CAN FIFO Interrupts

fbartsch9
Associate
Posted on September 12, 2016 at 14:02

Hi, I would like a to use a completely interrupt driven CAN Interface for STM32Fx Controllers.

CAN is working properly but if I transmit multiple messages via CAN sometimes I have to wait because evry one of three can tx buffer is full.  

The following Register indicates that:

__IO

uint32_t

TSR

;

/*!< CAN transmit status register, Address offset: 0x08 */

Actually I want to wait exactly as long I have to. That means, wait (OS context switch) as long there is at least one of the three tx-buffes empty, signal that to me and I can go on with my data transmission.

The following flags indicates that there is a possibility to handle that with interrupts as well:

#define

CAN_IT_TME ((uint32_t)CAN_IER_TMEIE)

/*!< Transmit mailbox empty interrupt */

/* Receive Interrupts */

#define

CAN_IT_FMP0 ((uint32_t)CAN_IER_FMPIE0)

/*!< FIFO 0 message pending interrupt */

#define

CAN_IT_FF0 ((uint32_t)CAN_IER_FFIE0)

/*!< FIFO 0 full interrupt */

#define

CAN_IT_FOV0 ((uint32_t)CAN_IER_FOVIE0)

/*!< FIFO 0 overrun interrupt */

#define

CAN_IT_FMP1 ((uint32_t)CAN_IER_FMPIE1)

/*!< FIFO 1 message pending interrupt */

#define

CAN_IT_FF1 ((uint32_t)CAN_IER_FFIE1)

/*!< FIFO 1 full interrupt */

#define

CAN_IT_FOV1 ((uint32_t)CAN_IER_FOVIE1)

/*!< FIFO 1 overrun interrupt */

But I absolutely found no way to use that interrupts in my application? My Plan is, that my RTOS will switch the context if there is no space in the tx buffers and after the correct event occurs (set by ISR) the application will resume with sending something by can.

A solution could also be just wait polling the TSR-Register, but I don't like that spinlock solution.

Anyone has some idea to handle that?

1 REPLY 1
christoph2399
Associate II
Posted on September 13, 2016 at 08:27

as far as i know the fifos are for INCOMING messages 🙂 so you won't have any luck if you check them when you are transmitting.

why not use the dedicated callback from the HAL-driver?

HAL_CAN_TxCpltCallback() 

there is also a define which is used in the HAL can interrupt routine, maybe you consider this flags/registers:

__HAL_CAN_TRANSMIT_STATUS()